Image formation in concave mirrors

In summary, it is possible to see an inverted image that appears to be behind the mirror, but this can be reproduced on a screen if the object is bright enough and the person positions themselves correctly. Additionally, it is possible to "stick" an image to a surface in front of the mirror using a pointer-like object.
rishch
When you look in spoon from a reasonable distance you see an inverted image of yourself in the mirror. How can you see a real image in the mirror when I thought you saw virtual images in a mirror and real images had to be caught on a screen.

Science news on Phys.org
The inverted image "floats" in front of the mirror. It's possible (at least in principle) to capture it on paper. Use a bright enough object (maybe a small light bulb), hold it above the center line (axis) of the mirror, and hold the paper below the center line. You don't want the paper to block the light going from the bulb to the mirror.

You probably heard that a flat mirror can't create a real image. This is certainly not the case for a curved mirror.

Yes I know that a plane mirror can't create a real image. But I see an inverted image that looks like it's behind the metal, when I thought it forms a real image in front that you can capture on a screen.

The image appears at first glance to be behind the mirror because you can see it only via light rays that travel in a straight line from the mirror to your eye. You can't see the image "from the side", so to speak.

As I described above, it is possible to capture such an image on a screen, if the object is bright enough and you position the object and screen properly so the screen doesn't block the light traveling from the object to the mirror.

Here's another thing you can try. Hold a pencil or other pointer-like object in front of the mirror. You should be able to place it in such a position that the image appears to be "stuck" to it. (By "it" I mean the pencil itself, not its image in the mirror!) That is, you can move your head and eye from side to side with the pencil and the image staying together. This is not possible if the image is behind the mirror and the pencil is in front of the mirror; they both have to be in the same location.

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror with a reflective surface that curves inward, like the inside of a spoon. It is also known as a converging mirror, as it causes parallel rays of light to converge at a focal point.

How is an image formed in a concave mirror?

An image is formed in a concave mirror when light rays reflect off the surface and converge at a point. This point is known as the focal point, and the distance from the mirror to the focal point is called the focal length. The image formed can be real or virtual, depending on the position of the object relative to the focal point.

What factors affect the size of an image formed in a concave mirror?

The size of an image formed in a concave mirror is affected by the distance of the object from the mirror, the focal length of the mirror, and the position of the object relative to the focal point. The magnification of the image can also be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the mirror.

How does the shape of a concave mirror affect the image formed?

The shape of a concave mirror affects the image formed by determining the amount of curvature of the reflective surface. A more curved mirror will have a shorter focal length and will produce a larger magnification, while a less curved mirror will have a longer focal length and produce a smaller magnification.

What are some applications of concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have many practical applications, such as in telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors. They are also used in certain medical procedures, such as endoscopy, and in solar energy collection systems. Concave mirrors are also used in experiments and demonstrations to study the properties of light and optics.