Find Image of Function g: Solving 3D Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the image of the function g(s,t) = [(st+1)/(st-1),(s-t)/(st-1),(s+t)/(st-1)], where the image is defined as the set of all possible y values. The image lies on the hyperboloid x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = 1. To solve the problem, one can write x, y, and z in terms of s and t and then determine the possible values of each variable. This problem is related to vector-valued functions rather than linear algebra.
Frillth

Homework Statement

I have the function g(s,t) = [(st+1)/(st-1),(s-t)/(st-1),(s+t)/(st-1)], and I need to find its image.

Homework Equations

I know that every point on the image of g lies on the hyperboloid x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very inexperienced with linear algebra, and I need to solve this problem for tomorrow. The problem is, I don't even really understand exactly what an image is. I read that it is like the function's range, but I don't even really know how to define the range of a function in 3D. Could someone please walk me through the steps for how to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that this really has anything to do with linear algebra. It's really a problem in vector valued functions. You should have learned, back in basic algebra, that the "image" of the function y= f(x) is the set f all possible y values. Here, "y" is a point in 3 dimensions. A good way to start is to write
x= (st+1)/(st-1),
y= (s-t)/(st-1),
z= (s+t)/(st-1).

Now, what are the possible values of x, y, and z? For example, since s and t can be any numbers, st can be any number. If x= (a+1)/(a-1), what are the possible values of x? You might try graphing y= (x+1)/(x-1) to answer that question.

Related to Find Image of Function g: Solving 3D Problem

1. What is the purpose of finding the image of function g in a 3D problem?

The image of a function g in a 3D problem represents the output or result of the function for a given input. It helps us understand the behavior of the function and its relationship with the input in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you solve a 3D problem using function g?

To solve a 3D problem using function g, you need to first define the function and its domain (possible inputs). Then, you can plot the function on a 3D coordinate system and use various techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to find the image of the function for a specific input or set of inputs.

3. What are some real-world applications of finding the image of function g in a 3D problem?

Finding the image of function g in a 3D problem is crucial in many fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and analyze the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space, design structures, simulate physical phenomena, and create realistic 3D animations.

4. Can finding the image of function g in a 3D problem be challenging?

Yes, finding the image of function g in a 3D problem can be challenging depending on the complexity of the function and the problem at hand. It requires a solid understanding of 3D geometry, algebra, and calculus, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with finding the image of function g in a 3D problem?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can assist in finding the image of function g in a 3D problem. Some popular ones include WolframAlpha, MATLAB, and Geogebra. These tools allow you to plot and manipulate 3D functions, analyze their behavior, and find their image for specific inputs.