1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image of a function

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the function g(s,t) = [(st+1)/(st-1),(s-t)/(st-1),(s+t)/(st-1)], and I need to find its image.

2. Relevant equations

I know that every point on the image of g lies on the hyperboloid x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very inexperienced with linear algebra, and I need to solve this problem for tomorrow. The problem is, I don't even really understand exactly what an image is. I read that it is like the function's range, but I don't even really know how to define the range of a function in 3D. Could someone please walk me through the steps for how to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know that this really has anything to do with linear algebra. It's really a problem in vector valued functions. You should have learned, back in basic algebra, that the "image" of the function y= f(x) is the set f all possible y values. Here, "y" is a point in 3 dimensions. A good way to start is to write
    x= (st+1)/(st-1),
    y= (s-t)/(st-1),
    z= (s+t)/(st-1).

Now, what are the possible values of x, y, and z? For example, since s and t can be any numbers, st can be any number. If x= (a+1)/(a-1), what are the possible values of x? You might try graphing y= (x+1)/(x-1) to answer that question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?