Imaginary numbers entertwined with quadratics

In summary, the question is asking for each pair of roots find a quadratic equation. Express your equation in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0. For this problem, the equation can be represented as: (x-h)^2+k and a(x-s)(x-t). The problem is how can you solve for these equations using what you know. If you can, please use analogies and don't give me the answer. Instead, what you need to do is think about the process you go through to solve a quadratic and apply it in reverse. Take note of the complex numbers and the equation's roots.
runicle
Hi, I'm not sure if this is calculas based or algebra based so here's the question.

For each pair of roots find a quadratic equation. Express your equation in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0
(
(A) 2i, -2i

For this question i don't know what is being asked so i guess the pairs could be x...
I know this:
ax^2+bx+c, a(x-h)^2+k and a(x-s)(x-t)
So the problem is how can i use the things that i know to answer the question. If you can please use analogies and don't give me the answer i just need to know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the process you go through to solve a quadratic and apply it in reverse. Take note of the complex numbers though.

-Hoot:smile:

Note to mentors/admin suggest moving this thread to pre calc forum.

Im trying this... I just used (a+bi)(c+di)
-(a+bi)(c+di)=0
-ac+adi+bci+bdi^2=0
-from previous question 2i, -2i I represented a = 0... and so forth
-

Although i don't know what 2i represents... Is it x b c?

From what I can see the solution is pretty simple

[tex](x - (2i))(x - (-2i)) = 0[/tex]

or am I missing something?

Remember that [itex]i^2 = -1 [/itex]

[EDIT] I've edited my post to change my stupid mistake

Last edited:
I doubt that hootenay... I'm thinking of x = -b -+ Square root of b^2-4ac over 2a equation and deriving it so that something will occur... I am confused...

Like hoot implied(I think slightly incorrectly), it's always true that if r1 and r2 are the two roots to a quadratic then the characteristic quadratic equation is (x-r1)(x-r2)=0. Then you just expand that to get it into the standard form.

The same argument can be extended to higher degree polynomial equations.

My davey jones's locker i think I've got It!
Correct me if I'm right
0=(x-(2x))(x-(-2x))
0=(x-2i)(x+2i)
0=(x^2+2ix-2ix-4i)
0=(x^2+4)
am i correct?
now if the pairs were 1+3i, 1-3i I would have sub the same way like
0=(x-(1+3i))(x-(1-3i))
0=(x-1+3i)(x+1-3i)
and solve from that correct?

Are you correct?

It is very easy to check your work. What are the roots of

[tex] x^2 + 4 =0 [/tex] ?

runicle said:
now if the pairs were 1+3i, 1-3i I would have sub the same way like
0=(x-(1+3i))(x-(1-3i))
0=(x-1+3i)(x+1-3i)
and solve from that correct?
You made a small mistake when going from the first line to the second line. Your second line should reads:
0 = (x - 1 - 3i) (x - 1 + 3i).
Now just expand all the terms out, simplify it, and it's all done.
Can you go from here? :)

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. They are denoted by the letter i and are used to represent solutions to certain equations that do not have real number solutions.

2. How are imaginary numbers used in quadratics?

In quadratics, imaginary numbers are used to find the roots of equations that do not have real solutions. The solutions to a quadratic equation can be expressed as a combination of real numbers and imaginary numbers.

3. What is the relationship between imaginary numbers and quadratics?

The relationship between imaginary numbers and quadratics is that imaginary numbers are used to solve quadratic equations that do not have real solutions. This is because of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial equation has a number of roots equal to its degree.

4. How do you simplify expressions with imaginary numbers and quadratics?

To simplify expressions with imaginary numbers and quadratics, you can use the properties of complex numbers and the quadratic formula. You can also use rules of exponents and radicals to simplify expressions involving imaginary numbers.

5. Can imaginary numbers be graphed in the complex plane?

Yes, imaginary numbers can be graphed in the complex plane. The real part of the number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships to each other.