Imaginary Numbers to Polar form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the real values of r and θ in the equation (1+i)i = reiθ. The approach involves using logarithms and writing 1+i in polar form, then matching the real and imaginary parts on both sides to solve for r and θ.
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

(1+i)i = re

Find the real values of r and θ.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, after doing a similar(ish) question I decided taking logs would be a good start:

i loge(1+i) = loger + iθ

From here, I have no idea where to go. Using a power of i is killing me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing 1+i in polar form.

Right. So I should have:

([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]e([tex]\pi[/tex]/4) i)i

And from there log?i can't seem to make that get towards a single polar form..

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. Then you can match the real parts on both sides to each other and similarly with the imaginary parts.

tomeatworld said:
Right. So I should have:

([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]e([tex]\pi[/tex]/4) i)i

And from there log?i can't seem to make that get towards a single polar form..
I don't understand how you got this.

[tex]1 + i = \sqrt{2}e^{i \pi/4}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow ln(1 + i) = ln(\sqrt{2}e^{i \pi/4}) = ln\sqrt{2} + ln(e^{i \pi/4})[/tex]

The last term on the right can be simplified.

I got to that as the original question was (1+i)i so I had to put it back into the polar form of (1+i). (unless I'm missing something).

I still can't really see where to go (assuming I've gone the right way).

i (ln [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] ei [tex]\pi [/tex]/4)

i (ln [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] + ln ei [tex]\pi [/tex]/4)
i (ln [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] + i [tex]\pi[/tex] /4 )

and from there just multiply out to get the imaginary and real parts?

Yup, because on the RHS, the real part is log r and the imaginary part is [tex]\theta[/tex].

Ah wow, got it! Thanks a load! Great help!

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written as a combination of a real number and the imaginary unit, denoted by the letter "i". The imaginary unit is defined as the square root of -1, which does not have a real number solution.

2. What is the polar form of an imaginary number?

The polar form of an imaginary number is a way to represent an imaginary number using its magnitude and angle. It is written in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

3. How do you convert an imaginary number to polar form?

To convert an imaginary number to polar form, you can use the formula r = √(a² + b²) to find the magnitude, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. Then, use the formula θ = tan⁻¹(b/a) to find the angle. Finally, write the number in the form r(cosθ + isinθ).

4. What is the significance of polar form for imaginary numbers?

Polar form is significant because it allows for easier computation and visualization of complex numbers. It also shows the relationship between imaginary numbers and trigonometric functions, making it useful in many applications, such as engineering and physics.

5. Can you use polar form to perform operations on imaginary numbers?

Yes, you can use polar form to perform operations on imaginary numbers. Addition and subtraction can be done by adding or subtracting the real and imaginary components separately. Multiplication can be done by multiplying the magnitudes and adding the angles. Division can be done by dividing the magnitudes and subtracting the angles.