Show that function maps unit cirle onto a line

In summary, the function f(z) = z/(1-z) maps the unit circle to an infinite line. To show this, one can multiply the numerator and denominator of f(eiθ) by the complex conjugate of 1-eiθ, which is 1-e-iθ. This results in the expression (eiθ-1)/(2-2cos(θ)). By writing (eiθ-1) in terms of sin(θ) and cos(θ), it can be shown that this expression represents a straight line.
zezima1

Homework Statement

Show that the function f(z) = z/(1-z) maps the unit circle to an infinite line.

Homework Equations

Polar form z = rexp(iθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to see what happens, when we let f(z) = f(e) and then get:

f(e) = e/(1-e)

But I need some help on making this expression more illuminating. I want something for which I can take the real and imaginary part - what tricks can I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the function f(z) = z/(1-z) maps the unit circle to an infinite line.

Homework Equations

Polar form z = rexp(iθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to see what happens, when we let f(z) = f(e) and then get:

f(e) = e/(1-e)

But I need some help on making this expression more illuminating. I want something for which I can take the real and imaginary part - what tricks can I use?
Multiply the numerator & denominator of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{e^{i\theta}}{1-e^{i\theta}}[/itex] by the complex conjugate of [itex]\displaystyle 1-e^{i\theta}[/itex] which is [itex]\displaystyle 1-e^{-i\theta}\ .[/itex]

Thanks, I'm still unsure how to do it though. Multiplying by the conjugate you get:

f(e) = (e-1)/(2-2cos(θ))

How do I show that this is the equation for a straight line?

zezima1 said:
Thanks, I'm still unsure how to do it though. Multiplying by the conjugate you get:

f(e) = (e-1)/(2-2cos(θ))

How do I show that this is the equation for a straight line?
Write (e-1) in terms of sin(θ) & cos(θ) .

Related to Show that function maps unit cirle onto a line

What is a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane.

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical rule that assigns each input value to exactly one output value.

How does a function map the unit circle onto a line?

A function maps the unit circle onto a line by taking each point on the unit circle and assigning it a corresponding point on the line. This is achieved through the use of the function's rule or equation.

Why is it important to show that a function maps the unit circle onto a line?

Showing that a function maps the unit circle onto a line is important because it provides evidence that the function is well-defined and that all points on the unit circle have been accounted for. It also helps to understand the behavior of the function and how it relates to the unit circle.

What does it mean if a function does not map the unit circle onto a line?

If a function does not map the unit circle onto a line, it means that there are points on the unit circle that are not being assigned a corresponding point on the line. This could indicate that the function is not well-defined or that the function's rule or equation needs to be revised.