Imaginary Velocity: Exploring Mass & Energy

In summary, the equation m= m_o/√(1-(v^2/c^2 )) gives the mass of an object in respect to the object's original mass and its velocity. If the mass of an object becomes lower than its rest mass, its velocity would be imaginary. This is because the rest mass is frame invariant and it is not possible to go to a reference frame where the object has a lower mass. This also means that the rest mass is the lowest possible energy of the particle.
NegativeGPA
So, according to my understanding,

m= m_o/√(1-(v^2/c^2 ))

gives the mass of an object in respect to the object's original mass and its velocity. I wondered what happened if the mass of an object became lower than the rest mass? [I have no idea how this would happen, but it was a, what if it did? kind of question]

I made the substitution m=m_o-a for some arbitrary amount lower than the rest mass. After solving the equation for velocity, i got

v=c√(1-(m_o^2/(m_o-a)^2 )

in the equation, you can see that,
(m_o-a)^2 < m_o^2

thus,
(m_o^2/(m_o-a)^2 > 1

so we would end up with the square root of a negative number, giving the object with an imaginary velocity.

This matched my predictions because the reason I wondered this was because I wanted to know what was so special about the rest mass of an object. Why is that amount of energy in that amount of space a particle, and why does additional energy cause what we call velocity? So i assumed that a lower amount of energy would do somehow the opposite of velocity, but what is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what your asking but this could help:
When the rest mass of an object becomes imaginary this is the description of a Tachyon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon
The Tachyon's velocity would hence be super-luminal.

Haha thanks, but I'm talking about an imaginary velocity, not an imaginary mass.

I'm asking what would happen if an object's mass became lower than its rest mass, and apparently it has an imaginary velocity. I'm asking if anyone has any idea what that means

I suppose the 'opposite of velocity' would make it so that the object required velocity to be added to it in order to be brought to a state of rest.

NegativeGPA said:
...what was so special about the rest mass of an object. Why is that amount of energy in that amount of space a particle, and why does additional energy cause what we call velocity? So i assumed that a lower amount of energy would do somehow the opposite of velocity, but what is that?

Well, the rest mass is special because it is frame invariant (this may seem slightly circular but the rest frame has unique properties, so we are not being arbitrary at least), so we may be justified in thinking it a property of the object rather than something just due to the way we look at it.

I think the fact that you are getting imaginary numbers out really just tells you that it is not possible to go to some reference frame where your object has a lower mass than in the rest frame. All measurable observables are real numbers in physics.

NegativeGPA said:
So, according to my understanding,

m= m_o/√(1-(v^2/c^2 ))
Please, do not use this relativistic mass. Apart from some old books, nobody uses it any more. You mean the energy of the particle:
E= m c^2 /√(1-(v^2/c^2 ))

At rest, the energy is E = m c^2. This is the lowest possible energy of the particle. If it moves, you add kinetic energy and the total energy has to increase. There is no way to get a lower energy, and therefore you should not expect a meaningful result in your calculation.

1. What is Imaginary Velocity?

Imaginary Velocity is a concept in physics that refers to the speed at which an object would travel if it were to gain or lose a significant amount of mass or energy. It is a hypothetical value that is used in calculations and theoretical models.

2. How is Imaginary Velocity calculated?

To calculate Imaginary Velocity, you would use the equation v = c √(1- m/m0), where v is the imaginary velocity, c is the speed of light, m is the object's mass, and m0 is the object's rest mass. This equation is derived from Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. What is the significance of Imaginary Velocity?

Imaginary Velocity is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light. It allows us to make predictions and understand phenomena that would otherwise be impossible to explain using classical physics.

4. Can Imaginary Velocity be observed or measured?

No, Imaginary Velocity cannot be observed or measured directly. It is a mathematical concept that is used to represent the behavior of mass and energy at very high speeds. However, its effects can be observed in certain physical processes, such as nuclear reactions.

5. How does Imaginary Velocity relate to the theory of relativity?

Imaginary Velocity is closely related to the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. The concept of Imaginary Velocity helps to explain the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, which is a key aspect of relativity theory.