Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[IMG]http:www.classicalvalues.com/Maypole.jpg[/IMG]Does anyone

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

Does anyone celebrate Mayday?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2
    I entered the thread thinking it would be something to do with me :frown:

Haha, nah I don't I know a few people who do the whole 'run around a pole' thing but if I am honest I don't really know what it's all about! :shy:

_Mayday_

4. May 1, 2008 #3
    I am annoyed at may day marches. I'm supposed to hold soccer practice today, but because 1/2 my team is hispanic I have to cancel. grrrrrrr

5. May 1, 2008 #4
    well, you could put some ribbons on your head

---maybe some women will start circling you, especially today

6. May 1, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, in the US this is Law Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Day,_U.S.A.

In order to celebrate, we make law trees out of used legal documents and place little lawyers and policemen under the tree. Houses are gleefully adorned in flashing red lights, and sirens can be heard singing throughout the countryside. In the morning, children leap out of bed and rush to the law tree to find pens and briefs left by Legalclause.

7. May 1, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never actually known what May Day is all about anyway. I mean, I know it's May 1, and people wrap ribbons around poles, but I haven't a clue why they do it or why the day is special to anyone.

8. May 1, 2008 #7
    I don't understand *legally* then----

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, President of the United States of America, do hereby designate Thursday, May 1, 1958 as Law Day - USA. "

LEGALLY, it sounds that only that day--Thursday, May 1, 1958 ---is and was the only 'Law Day'----as it is 'designated'----am I right 'legally' here?

9. May 1, 2008 #8
    If only it were that simple!

10. May 1, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. May 1, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

12. May 1, 2008 #11
    My friend actually researched maypoles for a history paper. Basically, it's a pagan fertility rite ("spring is here: let's make babies to encourage the Field Gods" sort of thing) that was happily coopted by all sorts of people who wouldn't identify themselves as pagan.
    The source of ribbons is highly disputed, and a fairly recent addition (considering that this May Day thing was around in Roman times).

13. May 1, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

May day was the time Wally Purgis the wizard came calling, and gave young chaps a hard time.

14. May 1, 2008 #13
    Originally celebrated on February 29, May Day denoted a day which may or may not occur. It was moved to it's current location so it could be nearly halfway between an equinox and an aquaduct. It is well known that during the First World War, English pilots would call out May Day on their way to a jaunty, if fiery death only suffer an unwelcome rescue by confused French pilots who thought they were asking for help. Things might have remained in this chaotic state if not for the desire of the Communist-speaking world to commemorate the Haymarket affair in which a Maypole dance got way out of hand. Happy holidays everyone.

15. May 1, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. May 1, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Being from the aviation community, I just don't like that word.

17. May 1, 2008 #16

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is like Cinco de Mayo....expect more along the lines of "Uno de Mayo" :biggrin:

Seriously though, I also don't understand this holiday.

18. May 1, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, Cinco de Mayo at least involves drinking a lot of beer, so that makes sense. :biggrin: (Who decided to have Cinco de Mayo on a Monday though? Can't we have Tres de Mayo this year? I think it should just be the first Saturday in May...or even the first Friday...Dos de Mayo has a nice sound to it.)

19. May 2, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cinco de Mayo is halfway between the equinox and summer solstice, rather than just near it.

Personally, I'd be disappointed to find there was a reason for the May Day. Dancing around a pole with ribbons for no good reason just sounds a lot more fun than having some kind of ancient tradition or symbolism attached to it.

20. May 2, 2008 #19

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

:rofl:

(Is there anything stopping BobG from doing this randomly on other days of the year for no reason)

21. May 2, 2008 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah. The random part doesn't work. You need an even number of people for a maypole. If I'm the only person that shows up, then I'm odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?