[IMG]http:www.classicalvalues.com/Maypole.jpg[/IMG]Does anyone

• Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date
In summary: Some say it's because medieval peasants couldn't afford expensive holiday decorations, so they wrapped cloth around a tree instead. Others say it's because it's a convenient way to disguise a pole from nosy neighbors. Still others say it's because it's easy to make a quick, colorful decoration.For today, most people just decorate their homes or go out for a parade. There are also some big events happening in different cities around the world, like the London Mayday parade or the Berlin Mayday march.In summary, Mayday is a celebration of the legal rights of individuals, specifically the right to freedom of expression and assembly. It is also a day to reflect on the importance of the rule
rewebster
Maypole.jpg

Does anyone celebrate Mayday?

Physics news on Phys.org
I entered the thread thinking it would be something to do with me :frown:

Haha, nah I don't I know a few people who do the whole 'run around a pole' thing but if I am honest I don't really know what it's all about! :shy:

_Mayday_

I am annoyed at may day marches. I'm supposed to hold soccer practice today, but because 1/2 my team is hispanic I have to cancel. grrrrrrr

_Mayday_ said:
I entered the thread thinking it would be something to do with me :frown:

Haha, nah I don't I know a few people who do the whole 'run around a pole' thing but if I am honest I don't really know what it's all about! :shy:

_Mayday_

well, you could put some ribbons on your head

---maybe some women will start circling you, especially today

Actually, in the US this is Law Day.

On May 1 the United States celebrates Law Day, U.S.A.. It is meant to reflect on the role of law in the foundation of the country and to recognize its importance for society.

WHEREAS it is fitting that the people of this Nation should remember with pride and vigilantly guard the great heritage of liberty, justice and equality under law which our forefathers bequeathed to us; and

WHEREAS it is our moral and civic obligation as free men and as Americans to preserve and strengthen that great heritage; and

WHEREAS the principle of guaranteed fundamental rights of individuals under the law is the heart and sinew of our Nation, and distinguishes our governmental system from the type of government that rules by might alone; and

WHEREAS our government has served as an inspiration and a beacon light for oppressed peoples of the World seeking freedom, justice and equality of the individual under law; and

WHEREAS universal application of the principles of the rule of law in the settlement of international disputes would greatly enhance the cause of a just and enduring peace; and

WHEREAS a day of national dedication to the principle of government under law would afford us an opportunity better to understand and appreciate the manifold virtues of such a government and to focus the attention of the World upon them;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, President of the United States of America, do hereby designate Thursday, May 1, 1958 as Law Day - USA. I urge the people of the United States to observe the designated day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, and I especially urge the legal profession, the press, and the radio, television and motion picture industries to promote and to participate in the observance of that date.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the City of Washington this Third Day of February in the Year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Fifty-eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the One Hundred and Eighty-second.

(Signed) DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER By the President

JOHN FOSTER DULLES Secretary of State

The White House February 3, 1958
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Day,_U.S.A.

In order to celebrate, we make law trees out of used legal documents and place little lawyers and policemen under the tree. Houses are gleefully adorned in flashing red lights, and sirens can be heard singing throughout the countryside. In the morning, children leap out of bed and rush to the law tree to find pens and briefs left by Legalclause.

I've never actually known what May Day is all about anyway. I mean, I know it's May 1, and people wrap ribbons around poles, but I haven't a clue why they do it or why the day is special to anyone.

I don't understand *legally* then----

"NOW, THEREFORE, I, DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER, President of the United States of America, do hereby designate Thursday, May 1, 1958 as Law Day - USA. "

LEGALLY, it sounds that only that day--Thursday, May 1, 1958 ---is and was the only 'Law Day'----as it is 'designated'----am I right 'legally' here?

rewebster said:
well, you could put some ribbons on your head

---maybe some women will start circling you, especially today

If only it were that simple!

I thought today was Illegal Immigrant Day in the U.S.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-yeeu4NtQOy4zpPnNXvBCIgZuVQD90CVS5O3

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I've never actually known what May Day is all about anyway. I mean, I know it's May 1, and people wrap ribbons around poles, but I haven't a clue why they do it or why the day is special to anyone.

My friend actually researched maypoles for a history paper. Basically, it's a pagan fertility rite ("spring is here: let's make babies to encourage the Field Gods" sort of thing) that was happily coopted by all sorts of people who wouldn't identify themselves as pagan.
The source of ribbons is highly disputed, and a fairly recent addition (considering that this May Day thing was around in Roman times).

May day was the time Wally Purgis the wizard came calling, and gave young chaps a hard time.

Originally celebrated on February 29, May Day denoted a day which may or may not occur. It was moved to it's current location so it could be nearly halfway between an equinox and an aquaduct. It is well known that during the First World War, English pilots would call out May Day on their way to a jaunty, if fiery death only suffer an unwelcome rescue by confused French pilots who thought they were asking for help. Things might have remained in this chaotic state if not for the desire of the Communist-speaking world to commemorate the Haymarket affair in which a Maypole dance got way out of hand. Happy holidays everyone.

Being from the aviation community, I just don't like that word.

Moonbear said:

I think it is like Cinco de Mayo...expect more along the lines of "Uno de Mayo" :biggrin:

Seriously though, I also don't understand this holiday.

G01 said:
I think it is like Cinco de Mayo...expect more along the lines of "Uno de Mayo" :biggrin:

Seriously though, I also don't understand this holiday.

Well, Cinco de Mayo at least involves drinking a lot of beer, so that makes sense. :biggrin: (Who decided to have Cinco de Mayo on a Monday though? Can't we have Tres de Mayo this year? I think it should just be the first Saturday in May...or even the first Friday...Dos de Mayo has a nice sound to it.)

Cinco de Mayo is halfway between the equinox and summer solstice, rather than just near it.

Personally, I'd be disappointed to find there was a reason for the May Day. Dancing around a pole with ribbons for no good reason just sounds a lot more fun than having some kind of ancient tradition or symbolism attached to it.

BobG said:
Personally, I'd be disappointed to find there was a reason for the May Day. Dancing around a pole with ribbons for no good reason just sounds a lot more fun than having some kind of ancient tradition or symbolism attached to it.

:rofl:

(Is there anything stopping BobG from doing this randomly on other days of the year for no reason)

fuzzyfelt said:
:rofl:

(Is there anything stopping BobG from doing this randomly on other days of the year for no reason)

Yeah. The random part doesn't work. You need an even number of people for a maypole. If I'm the only person that shows up, then I'm odd.

BobG said:
Yeah. The random part doesn't work. You need an even number of people for a maypole. If I'm the only person that shows up, then I'm odd.

Well, I can't really say that you wouldn't still be odd if other people showed up. :biggrin:

1. What is the significance of the Maypole in traditional celebrations?

The Maypole is a symbol of fertility and the arrival of spring in many cultures. It is often used in May Day celebrations, where people dance around the pole and weave ribbons to create intricate patterns.

2. Where did the tradition of dancing around the Maypole originate?

The exact origin of the Maypole tradition is unclear, but it is believed to have roots in ancient European pagan rituals honoring the changing of seasons and fertility. It later became associated with May Day celebrations in medieval Europe.

3. How is the Maypole dance performed?

The Maypole dance involves a group of people holding onto the ends of ribbons attached to the top of the Maypole. They then dance in a circle, weaving the ribbons in and out to form different patterns around the pole.

4. Are there any variations of the Maypole dance?

Yes, there are many variations of the Maypole dance depending on the culture and region. Some may involve specific steps or formations, while others may incorporate props or music. Some variations also include a May Queen or King who leads the dance.

5. Is the Maypole still celebrated today?

Yes, the Maypole is still celebrated in many parts of the world as a traditional and cultural symbol. It is also often incorporated into modern celebrations and festivals, such as May Day festivals and Renaissance fairs.