Impact of rolling sphere with vertical rod

In summary: I finally understood the solution. In summary, a uniform sphere of mass ##m## and radius ##r##, rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface at a velocity ##v_0##, hits the end of a rod of length ##l## and mass ##10m##, hanging on a hinge. The ball will continue moving to the right and spinning counterclockwise, while the rod will remain stationary. The time it takes for the ball to transition into pure rolling is ##t=\dfrac{40}{91}\dfrac{v_0}{kg}##, and the speed of the roller after the impact is ##v=\dfrac{9}{91}v_0##. The impact is perfectly elastic
sergiokapone

Homework Statement

Uniform sphere of mass ##m## and radius ##r##, rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface at a velocity ##v_0##, hits the end of a rod of length ##l## and mass ##10m##, hanging on a hinge (Figure). Determine how the ball will move and the rod after the impact. What time after, the motion of the ball goes into pure rolling? What is the speed of the roller? An impact is perfectly elastic and instantaneous. The coefficient of friction of the ball on the plane is ##k##. Rolling friction neglected.

1dd8756cdc1aace34b4affd59b383609.jpg

Homework Equations

Eqs of conservations:
Angular momentun: ##mv_0l=\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\omega-mvl##
Energy: ##\underbrace{\dfrac{mv_0^2}{2}+\dfrac{2}{5}mr^2\dfrac{v_0^2}{2r^2}}_{\dfrac{7mv_0^2}{10}}=\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\dfrac{\omega^2}{2}+\dfrac{mv^2}{2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that I made a conceptual error in the conservation laws, but I do not know where.

Physics news on Phys.org
sergiokapone said:
Eqs of conservations:
Energy: ##\underbrace{\dfrac{mv_0^2}{2}+\dfrac{2}{5}mr^2\dfrac{v_0^2}{2r^2}}_{\dfrac{7mv_0^2}{10}}=\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\dfrac{\omega^2}{2}+\dfrac{mv^2}{2}##

I think I understand. The system of two equations is inconsistent. But if we assume that the sphere after being hit does not lose its spin moment, then everything works:
##
\begin{equation}
\left\{
\begin{array}
\ mv_0l =\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\omega &- mvl \\
\dfrac{mv_0^2}{2} =\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\dfrac{\omega^2}{2} &+ \dfrac{mv^2}{2}
\end{array}
\right.
\end{equation}\text{ without loss of spin angular momentum}
##

Then, we have
##v=\dfrac{7}{13}v_0##, ##\omega=\dfrac{6}{13} \dfrac{v_0}{l}##

But why the sphere does not stop spinning?

sergiokapone said:

Homework Statement

Uniform sphere of mass ##m## and radius ##r##, rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface at a velocity ##v_0##, hits the end of a rod of length ##l## and mass ##10m##, hanging on a hinge (Figure). Determine how the ball will move and the rod after the impact. What time after, the motion of the ball goes into pure rolling? What is the speed of the roller? An impact is perfectly elastic and instantaneous. The coefficient of friction of the ball on the plane is ##k##. Rolling friction neglected.

1dd8756cdc1aace34b4affd59b383609.jpg

Homework Equations

Eqs of conservations:
Energy: ##\underbrace{\dfrac{mv_0^2}{2}+\dfrac{2}{5}mr^2\dfrac{v_0^2}{2r^2}}_{\dfrac{7mv_0^2}{10}}=\dfrac{10ml^2}{3}\dfrac{\omega^2}{2}+\dfrac{mv^2}{2}+?##

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that I made a conceptual error in the conservation laws, but I do not know where.

You omitted the rotational energy of the ball from the energy equation.

ehild

ehild said:
You omitted the rotational energy of the ball from the energy equation.

ehild

Yes, exactly! Thank you.

sergiokapone said:
Then, we have
##v=\dfrac{7}{13}v_0##, ##\omega=\dfrac{6}{13} \dfrac{v_0}{l}##

But why the sphere does not stop spinning?

The rod hits the ball at the height of its centre. So the rod does not exert torque about the centre of the ball. No torque, no change of angular momentum. (The force of friction is finite, it does not have effect on angular momentum in infinitesimally short time)

ehild

ehild said:
The rod hits the ball at the height of its centre. So the rod does not exert torque about the centre of the ball. No torque, no change of angular momentum. (The force of friction is finite, it does not have effect on angular momentum in infinitesimally short time)

ehild

Oh, really! Thank you!
Now I start to calculate the time from bounce to pure roll.
I have two eqns:
##m\dfrac{dv}{dt}=-F_{f}##
##\dfrac{2}{5}mr^2\dfrac{d\omega}{dt}=-F_{f}r##
Here not mess with the signs?

From integrating above eqns:
##\dfrac{2}{5}\omega r-v=const##
Constant determine from initial conditions, e.g. ##const=\dfrac{2}{5}\dfrac{v_0}{r} r-\dfrac{7}{13}v_0=-\dfrac{9}{65}v_0##
When will the pure rolling ##v=\omega r##, then ##\dfrac{2}{5}\omega r-\omega r= -\dfrac{9}{65}v_0##
E.g.
##\omega r = \dfrac{3}{13}v_0##

##v=\dfrac{3}{13}v_0## - velocity of pure rolling.
Then
##v_{at\; the\; finish\; of\; sliding,\; or\; starting\; pure\; roll}=v_{initial\; velocity\; after\; bounce} +at##
or
##\dfrac{3}{13}v_0-\dfrac{7}{13}v_0=at##
##-\dfrac{4}{13}v_0=at##
##t=-\dfrac{4}{13}v_0\dfrac{1}{a}##
From the eqn of center mass motion ##a=-kg##

Answer ##t=\dfrac{4}{13}\dfrac{v_0}{kg}##

That does not match with the answer book of problems ##t=\dfrac{40}{91}\dfrac{v_0}{kg}##

Take care of the signs.
After collision, the ball travels to the right and spins anticlockwise. When it starts to roll it travels to the right with velocity v and rotates clockwise with ω=v/r. The friction accelerates clockwise rotation.

ehild

ehild said:
Take care of the signs.
After collision, the ball travels to the right and spins anticlockwise. When it starts to roll it travels to the right with velocity v and rotates clockwise with ω=v/r. The friction accelerates clockwise rotation.

ehild

I was not thinking. Thanks!

ef0d7deae537cab688ad2e55d7843ede.jpg

Right calculations:

From integrating above eqns:
##\dfrac{2}{5}\omega r-v=const##
Constant determine from initial conditions, e.g. ##const=\dfrac{2}{5}\dfrac{v_0}{r} r-\dfrac{7}{13}v_0=-\dfrac{9}{65}v_0##
When will the pure rolling ##v=-\omega r##, then ##\dfrac{2}{5}\omega r+\omega r= -\dfrac{9}{65}v_0##
E.g.
##\omega r = - \dfrac{9}{91}v_0##

##v=\dfrac{9}{91}v_0## - velocity of pure rolling.
Then
##v_{at\; the\; finish\; of\; sliding,\; or\; starting\; pure\; roll}=v_{initial\; velocity\; after\; bounce} +at##
or
##\dfrac{9}{91}v_0-\dfrac{7}{13}v_0=at##
##-\dfrac{4}{13}v_0=at##
##t=-\dfrac{40}{91}v_0\dfrac{1}{a}##
From the eqn of center mass motion ##a=-kg##

Answer ##t=\dfrac{40}{91}\dfrac{v_0}{kg}##

Last edited:
Nice work!

ehild

ehild said:
Nice work!

ehild

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the impact force of a rolling sphere hitting a vertical rod?

The impact force of a rolling sphere hitting a vertical rod depends on several factors, including the mass and velocity of the sphere, and the material and dimensions of the rod. It can be calculated using the equation F = m * v^2 / r, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the sphere, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the rod.

2. How does the angle of impact affect the result of the collision?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the result of the collision between a rolling sphere and a vertical rod. If the sphere hits the rod at a perpendicular angle, the impact force will be at its maximum. However, if the angle is more oblique, the impact force will be reduced and the sphere may bounce off the rod with less force.

3. What happens to the energy of the system after the collision?

In an ideal situation, the total energy of the system will remain constant after the collision between a rolling sphere and a vertical rod. However, some energy may be lost due to friction and deformation of the materials involved. This is known as the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the amount of energy lost during a collision.

4. Can the impact of a rolling sphere on a vertical rod be considered an elastic collision?

In most cases, the impact of a rolling sphere on a vertical rod will not be considered an elastic collision. This is because some energy is usually lost during the collision due to factors such as friction and deformation of the materials. An elastic collision is one in which no kinetic energy is lost.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the impact of a rolling sphere with a vertical rod?

Studying the impact of a rolling sphere with a vertical rod has many real-world applications, such as in sports like billiards and golf, where the collision between a ball and a stationary object is a common occurrence. It is also important in engineering and design, as understanding the forces involved in collisions can help in creating safer and more efficient structures and materials.