Calculating Kinetic Energy of an Object Falling from Space

In summary, the person apologizes for posting in the wrong forum and requests for their post to be moved if necessary. They then ask a question about the kinetic energy of an object falling from space and request a formula for calculating it. They also mention their interest in experimenting with different numbers in the future.
Tails
First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong forum... I couldn't tell real well where I should post it, so I just did it in general... If it's the wrong place, I apologize and request it be moved to where it should go. (I don't think it's qualifies as Homework", as it's not homework... I'd just like to know XD)

Second of all, my question:

I'd like to know with how much kinetic energy an object falling from space would hit with, assuming the object doesn't disintegrate in the atmosphere.

If a 4 tonne metal rod was ejected from 10,000 kilometers in the atmosphere, towards earth, with an initial velocity of 10 m/s, what would it's KE be as it hits?

And, if possible, could I be given a formula which would calculate it for me? I'd like to mess with the numbers in the future...

Please and thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation for gravitational potential energy. U=-GMm/r if its closer to Earth you can use mgh , And the impact force would be F=-dp/dt
the change in momentum divided by the impact time.

1. How is kinetic energy calculated for an object falling from space?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object in kilograms and v is its velocity in meters per second.

2. What is the initial velocity for an object falling from space?

The initial velocity for an object falling from space is typically the velocity at which it enters the Earth's atmosphere. This can vary depending on factors such as the altitude at which it is released and the angle at which it enters the atmosphere.

3. Does air resistance affect the kinetic energy of an object falling from space?

Yes, air resistance can affect the kinetic energy of an object falling from space. As the object travels through the Earth's atmosphere, it will experience air resistance which will slow it down and decrease its kinetic energy.

4. How does mass affect the kinetic energy of an object falling from space?

The mass of an object directly affects its kinetic energy. A heavier object will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object traveling at the same velocity. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass in the kinetic energy formula.

5. Is the kinetic energy of an object falling from space always constant?

No, the kinetic energy of an object falling from space is not always constant. It will decrease as the object travels through the Earth's atmosphere due to air resistance. However, if the object is falling in a vacuum with no air resistance, its kinetic energy will remain constant as there is no force acting against it.