Impedance equivs and complex numbers.

In summary, to find equivalent impedances of circuits, you can rationalize the denominators and add the real and imaginary parts, or convert the cartesian impedances into polar admitances and add them before inverting to obtain the equivalent impedance. There are multiple methods for these calculations and it may vary which one is quickest.
seang
Hey, I'm finding equivalent impedances of circuits, and I always run into things like this:

1/(-j25) + 1/(600 +j900) = 1/Zeq

I don't know how to proceed from here. I know this is more of a math issue than anything else, but I appreciate your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just put them over a common denominator and add. Remember that j*j=-1 and you should be fine.

What works best for me is to rationalise the denominators (by multiplying numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator) then simply adding real and imaginary parts. After rationalising, the denominator will be the square of the modulus while the numerator will be the conjugate. Also, remember that 1/j = -j.
So for your example you would go:
1/(-j25) + 1/(600 +j900) = j/25 + (600 - 900j)/(600^2 + 900^2) = 600/1170000 + (1/25 - 900/1170000)j = 1/1950 + j51/1300 = 1/Z
-> Z = 1/(1/1950 + j51/1300) = (1/1950 - j51/1300)/(1/1950^2 + (51/1300)^2) = 0.3331 - 25.49j
Alternatively, you could convert the cartesian impedances into polar admitances then add them (admitances in parallel add) and put the result into polar form and invert to obtain the equivalent impedance.
There are many ways of doing these calculations. I'm not sure which is quickest.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Resistance (R) is a measure of the opposition to the flow of a direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance (Z) takes into account both resistance and reactance (X), which is the opposition to the flow of an AC due to capacitance or inductance.

3. What are impedance equivalents?

Impedance equivalents are used to simplify complex circuits into a single, equivalent impedance value. This allows for easier analysis and calculations in circuit design.

4. How are complex numbers used in impedance equivalents?

Complex numbers are used to represent the magnitude and phase angle of impedance. The real part of a complex impedance (R) represents resistance, while the imaginary part (X) represents reactance.

5. How do I calculate impedance equivalents?

The formula for calculating impedance equivalents is Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and X is the reactance. To find the equivalent impedance of a series circuit, simply add the individual impedances. For parallel circuits, use the formula 1/Z = 1/Z1 + 1/Z2 + ... + 1/Zn to find the total impedance.