Impedance network and complex algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a given impedance network can be simplified to a form that includes a summation and a complex number. The conversation also mentions that the typesetter may have made a mistake, and suggests checking the solution by assigning numeric values to the variables and using a calculator or an online tool. Ultimately, it is revealed that the question is incorrect and the answer provided by the expert is correct.
cjs94

Homework Statement

This is one part of a wider question, I'm only posting the part I'm having trouble with.
$$
\begin{align}
\text{Given an impedance network } B &= \frac{Z_1 \parallel Z_3}{Z_2 + Z_1 \parallel Z_3} \\
\text{show that: } \frac{1}{B} &= 1 + \frac{R_2}{R_1} + j\frac{\omega CR_2}{1 + \omega CR_3}
\end{align}
$$

Homework Equations

$$\begin{align}
Z_1 &= R_1 \\
Z_2 &= R_2 \\
Z_3 &= R_3 + C_1 \text{(in series)}
\end{align}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\begin{align}
Z_3 &= R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \\
Z_1 \parallel Z_3 &= \frac{Z_1 Z_3}{Z_1 + Z_3} \\
&= \frac{R_1 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}{R_1 + R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1}} \\
\frac{1}{B} &= \frac{Z_1 \parallel Z_3}{Z_1 \parallel Z_3} + \frac{Z_2}{Z_1 \parallel Z_3} \\
&= 1 + \frac{R_2}{\frac{R_1 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}{R_1 + R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1}}} \\
&= 1 + \frac{R_2 \left( R_1 + R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}{R_1 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}\\
&= 1 + \frac{R_2 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}{R_1 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)} + \frac{R_2 R_1}{R_1 \left( R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1} \right)}\\
&= 1 + \frac{R_2}{R_1} + \frac{R_2}{R_3 - j\frac{1}{\omega C_1}} \\
&= 1 + \frac{R_2}{R_1} + \frac{j\omega C_1 R_2}{1+ j\omega C_1 R_3}
\end{align}$$
I just can't get the right hand element to match, I've got an extra ##j##. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a fair bet that you are right, and the typesetter has dropped an italic j.

I
followed your working, nothing leapt out as being wrong.

One way to check your own work is to assign the pronumerals some easy numeric values, and evaluate the expressions (manually, or using a calculator).
e.g., let R1=1, R2=4, R3=3, C=5, w=1

Thanks for the replies. I've just had a response from the tutor, the question is wrong and my answer is correct. :)

Your solution looks correct to me. It's possible that there is a mistake in the given equation or in the values of the parameters. I would recommend double-checking all the calculations and making sure that the values of R1, R2, R3, and C1 are correct. If everything checks out, it's possible that there is a typo in the equation or in the values, and you may need to reach out to the person who gave you the question for clarification.

1. What is an impedance network?

An impedance network is a circuit or set of circuits that are connected in a specific way to manipulate the flow of electrical current. It is used to control the impedance, or opposition to the flow of current, in a circuit.

2. What is the purpose of using complex algebra in impedance networks?

Complex algebra is used in impedance networks to represent the impedance values of the different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, in a circuit. It allows for the calculation of the total impedance of the network, which is necessary for analysis and design of the circuit.

3. How is the total impedance of an impedance network calculated?

The total impedance of an impedance network is calculated by summing the individual impedances of each component in the network. This can be done using complex algebra by adding the real parts and imaginary parts separately, or by using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the impedance.

4. What is the difference between real and imaginary impedance in complex algebra?

Real impedance represents the resistive component of a circuit, while imaginary impedance represents the reactive component. Reactive components, such as capacitors and inductors, store and release energy, while resistive components, such as resistors, dissipate energy. In complex algebra, real impedance is represented by the real part of a complex number, while imaginary impedance is represented by the imaginary part.

5. How is the concept of impedance important in electrical engineering?

Impedance is an important concept in electrical engineering because it allows for the analysis and design of complex circuits. It also helps in understanding the behavior of different components in a circuit and how they interact with each other. Impedance matching, or ensuring that the impedance of different components in a circuit are compatible, is crucial for efficient operation of electronic devices.