Impedance of Parallel Dependent Sources.

In summary, the problem is to find the impedance across U1 in a circuit with two sets of parallel resistors, capacitors, and dependent current sources, with a capacitor separating the dependent current sources on the top wire. The equations used are Kirchoff's laws, superposition, mesh analysis, and nodal analysis. When the resistors are taken out and a = b, the circuit is equivalent to a capacitor and inductor in parallel. However, attempts to solve using various methods have resulted in either too many terms or a result that is not equivalent to an inductor. Due to language barriers and limited access to homework help, the class is proving to be challenging.
ShamelessGit

Homework Statement

I have this circuit:

Code:
0----------C----------0
U1___R C I1 I2 R C ___U2
0---------------------0

That's supposed to be two sets of Resistor, Capacitor, and dependent current sources all in parallel except with a capacitor separating the dependent current sources on the top wire. I need to know the impedance across U1. The U1 and U2 represent the voltage drops across the top and bottom wires. I1 = aU2 and I2 = bU1

Homework Equations

I must not know them all, otherwise I could solve it. I know Kirkoffs laws and superposition, mesh analysis, and nodal analysis (or at least I think I do, I just learned it very recently).

When a = b and the resistors are taken out, this circuit is supposed to become the equivalent of a capacitor and inductor in parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a lot of different methods, and I either get so many terms that no sane teacher would ever expect me to have to work with them all, or I get a result that is not an equivalent circuit of an inductor if I try to do the same thing without the resistors and with a = b. There was a homework assignment before this in which a gyrator and a capacitor were used to make an equivalent inductor, but I don't think I can do the same thing thing as before because there are more nodes, although it looks a hell of a lot like a gyrator when a = b.

I started this class a few weeks behind, it's taught in a foreign language, and I don't really have any access to homework help, so it's a damn hard class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you could upload a proper drawing, or at least place your ascii art within "code" tags to prevent space mashing. Code tags are "code" and "/code" within square brackets.

1. What is the meaning of "impedance of parallel dependent sources"?

The impedance of parallel dependent sources refers to the total impedance seen by an electrical circuit when two or more dependent sources are connected in parallel. Dependent sources are voltage or current sources whose values are dependent on other parameters in the circuit.

2. How is the impedance of parallel dependent sources calculated?

The impedance of parallel dependent sources can be calculated using the parallel equivalent circuit method, where the dependent sources are replaced with their equivalent resistors. The total impedance is then calculated using the standard parallel resistor formula.

3. What is the impact of adding a dependent source in parallel to a circuit?

Adding a dependent source in parallel to a circuit can significantly change the overall impedance seen by the circuit. This can affect the voltage and current distribution in the circuit and may lead to changes in the overall behavior of the circuit.

4. Can the impedance of parallel dependent sources be negative?

Yes, the impedance of parallel dependent sources can be negative. This is because dependent sources can have negative values, which can result in a negative equivalent resistance when calculating the total impedance.

5. How does the impedance of parallel dependent sources affect circuit analysis?

The impedance of parallel dependent sources can complicate circuit analysis, as it adds an additional variable that needs to be considered. It may also lead to unexpected results, such as negative impedances, which may require further analysis to understand the behavior of the circuit.