Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance Vs time delay

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    I recently attended a seminar, which said impedance increases with temperature, which results in timing delays in digital circuits. I don't understand how increase in impedance results in delay.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The thermal coefficient of resistance varies for different materials. Resistance decreases for some semiconductors with increasing temperature, right?

So I assume they were talking about the metal traces in ICs and their thermal coefficient of resistance, which does increase with temperature. Since a big part of the delay in those IC traces is the RC delay, increasing the R (and not changing the C) will result in more delay.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need a more specific quote, a reference to a particular circuit. It's possible that increased impedance could change the phase in some parts of a circuit but without any specific information, that is, just taken as a bald statement with no context, it makes no sense as far as I can see. For one thing not all impedance increases with temperature.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook