Does impedance affect time delay in digital circuits?

In summary, the seminar discussed how increased impedance due to temperature changes can result in timing delays in digital circuits. This is due to the thermal coefficient of resistance in materials, particularly in metal traces in integrated circuits. This increase in resistance can lead to more delay in the RC circuit, causing timing delays. However, it is important to note that not all impedance increases with temperature and specific circuit information is needed to fully understand the impact on delay.
likephysics
I recently attended a seminar, which said impedance increases with temperature, which results in timing delays in digital circuits. I don't understand how increase in impedance results in delay.

Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
I recently attended a seminar, which said impedance increases with temperature, which results in timing delays in digital circuits. I don't understand how increase in impedance results in delay.

The thermal coefficient of resistance varies for different materials. Resistance decreases for some semiconductors with increasing temperature, right?

So I assume they were talking about the metal traces in ICs and their thermal coefficient of resistance, which does increase with temperature. Since a big part of the delay in those IC traces is the RC delay, increasing the R (and not changing the C) will result in more delay.

Likes zoki85
likephysics said:
You need a more specific quote, a reference to a particular circuit. It's possible that increased impedance could change the phase in some parts of a circuit but without any specific information, that is, just taken as a bald statement with no context, it makes no sense as far as I can see. For one thing not all impedance increases with temperature.

Last edited:

1. What is impedance vs time delay?

Impedance vs time delay is a graphical representation of the relationship between impedance and time delay in a circuit. It shows how the impedance changes over time as a signal passes through a circuit.

2. How is impedance vs time delay measured?

Impedance vs time delay is typically measured using an oscilloscope or network analyzer, which can capture and display the changing impedance values over time.

3. What factors can affect impedance vs time delay?

Impedance vs time delay can be affected by various factors, such as the type of circuit components, the length and type of transmission lines, and the frequency of the signal.

4. What is the significance of impedance vs time delay in circuit design?

Impedance vs time delay is important in circuit design as it helps engineers understand the behavior of a circuit and make adjustments to optimize its performance. It can also help identify any issues or problems in a circuit.

5. How can impedance vs time delay be used in troubleshooting circuits?

Impedance vs time delay can be used in troubleshooting circuits by comparing the expected impedance vs time delay with the actual measurements. If there are discrepancies, it can help pinpoint where the issue may be occurring in the circuit.