Implicit Differentiation Example: Finding Solutions for f(x,y) = 0

In summary, Spivak explains that the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - 1 has two possible functions that satisfy f(x,g(x)) = 0, which are g(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2} and g(x) = -\sqrt{1-x^2}. Differentiating f(x,g(x)) = 0 gives the equation 2x + 2g(x) \cdot g'(x) = 0. By substituting g(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2} and g(x) = -\sqrt{1-x^2}, it is shown that x = 0 in both cases. However, Spivak points out that
Rasalhague
Spivak: Calculus on Manifolds, p. 42:

Reconsider the function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - 1[/itex], we note that the two possible functions satisfying [itex]f(x,g(x)) = 0[/itex] are

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]g(x) = -\sqrt{1-x^2}.[/tex]

Differentiating [itex]f(x,g(x)) = 0[/itex] gives

[tex]D_1(x,g(x))+D_2(x,g(x)) \cdot g'(x) = 0[/tex]

or

[tex]2x +2g(x) \cdot g'(x) = 0,[/tex]

[tex]g'(x) = -x/g(x),[/tex]

which is indeed the case for either

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

or

[tex]g(x) = -\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex].

Assuming "differentiating [itex]f(x,g(x)) = 0[/itex]" means differentiating [itex]f \circ h[/itex], where

[tex]h : (-1,1) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2 \; | \; x \mapsto (I(x),g(x)), I(x) = x[/tex]

and setting the result identically equal to zero, we have

[tex]2x+2g(x) \cdot g'(x) = 0,[/tex]

as above. Substituting

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2},[/tex]

I get

[tex]=2x-\frac{2 \sqrt{1-x^2} \cdot 2x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]=-2x = 0.[/tex]

Or, if I substitute the negative square root, [itex]6x = 0[/itex]. Therefore, either way, [itex]x = 0[/itex]. But hang on! By definition, [itex]g[/itex] maps (-1,1) to the reals, its graph forming a semicircle; how can this other equation be telling us that [itex]x=0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]g(x) = (1 - x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]g'(x) = (-2x)(1/2) (1-x^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

You seem to be have lost a factor of 1/2.

Ah yes, I see. Thanks, AlephZero!

When g(x)=(1-x2)1/2, we have 2x - 2x = 0, which is consistent and doesn't set any restriction on x. Likewise when g(x)=-(1-x2)1/2, since the minus from g(x) "cancels" the minus from g'(x), giving the same result: 2x - 2x = 0.

What is an example of an implicit function?

An example of an implicit function is the equation x^2 + y^2 = 25. This equation can be rearranged into the explicit form y = √(25-x^2), but it is considered an implicit function because it is not explicitly solved for y.

How is an implicit function different from an explicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical equation where one variable is not explicitly solved for, while an explicit function is an equation where all variables are explicitly solved for. In other words, in an implicit function, the relationship between the variables is not immediately apparent.

Why are implicit functions useful in mathematics?

Implicit functions are useful in mathematics because they allow us to represent complex relationships between variables in a simple equation. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the implicit function theorem?

The implicit function theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that under certain conditions, an implicit function can be expressed explicitly in terms of its independent variables. This theorem is often used to solve systems of equations where one variable cannot be solved for explicitly.

Can implicit functions be graphed?

Yes, implicit functions can be graphed. However, because they are not explicitly solved for one variable, their graphs are often more complex and may require the use of a computer program to accurately depict them.