Implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap

In summary: I'm trying to calculate ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}## and the derivative thereof. So the question is what is the derivative of ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}##? So, are you not trying to calculate ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}##...I'm trying to calculate ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}## and the derivative thereof. So the question is what is the derivative of ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}##?
babagoslow

Homework Statement

Consider a spherical cap, for which the surface area and volume is

[tex]A(a,h) = \pi(a^2 +h^2)[/tex]
[tex]V(a,h) = \frac{\pi h}{6}(3a^2 +h^2)[/tex]

What would the aspect ratio [itex]dA/dV[/itex] be?

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly we would have

[tex]dA = 2\pi a da + 2\pi h dh[/tex]
[tex]dV = \pi ha da + \frac{\pi}{2}(a^2+h^2) dh [/tex]

but what would the chain rule look like? Surely, it should have more terms than just

[tex]\frac{dA}{dV } = \frac{\partial A}{\partial a} \frac{\partial a}{\partial V} + \frac{\partial A}{\partial h}\frac{\partial h}{\partial V}[/tex]

, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it should have more terms? a and h are the only variables.

If [itex]dV, dA[/itex] were just functions of one variable, it would be straightforward. But here there are two variables, and perhaps I would have anticipated a chain rule of the form

[tex]\frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{\partial A}{\partial a}\left( \frac{\partial a}{\partial V} + \frac{\partial h}{\partial V} \right) + \frac{\partial V}{\partial a}\left( \frac{\partial a}{\partial A} + \frac{\partial h}{\partial A} \right) [/tex]

but I'm just guessing.

On dimensional grounds, I would expect [tex]
A = V^{2/3} f\left(\frac ah\right)[/tex] for some function [itex]f[/itex] which can be determined from the formulae for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex]. Thus [itex]A[/itex] is a function of both [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]a/h[/itex].

babagoslow said:
If [itex]dV, dA[/itex] were just functions of one variable, it would be straightforward. But here there are two variables, and perhaps I would have anticipated a chain rule of the form

[tex]\frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{\partial A}{\partial a}\left( \frac{\partial a}{\partial V} + \frac{\partial h}{\partial V} \right) + \frac{\partial V}{\partial a}\left( \frac{\partial a}{\partial A} + \frac{\partial h}{\partial A} \right) [/tex]

but I'm just guessing.
The second part has V "in the numerator" that can't be right! "On dimensional grounds", as pasmith puts it, V has units of "length cubed", A has units of "length squared, and h and a have units of "length". [itex]\partial V/\partial a[/itex] has units of "length squared", and [itex]\partial a/\partial A[/itex] and [itex]\partial h/\partial A[/itex] have units of "1 over length" so the second term has units of length. But [itex]dA/dV[/itex] has units of "1 over length".

Thanks for the advice HallsofIvy and pasmith!

Pasmith, yes, you were right, I was able to evaluate the derivative by expressing the functions in terms of [itex]f(h/a)[/itex]. Thanks for the insight!

Dear Pasmith, I have been looking at this problem again and in fact I don't think it is possible to find the derivative [itex]dA/dV[/itex] like you mentioned.

Let [itex]x\equiv a/h.[/itex]
[itex]A^3 = V^2 f(a/h) = V^2 f(x)[/itex]
[itex]3A^2 dA = 2V dV f(x) + V^2 \frac{df}{dx} dx[/itex]

The complication comes in when you are trying to solve for [itex]dA/dV[/itex] and you get

[itex]\frac{dA}{dV} = ... + \frac{V^2}{3A^2} \frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{dV}.[/itex]

But note that [itex]V=\frac{\pi h}{6}(3a^2+h^2)[/itex]. Since the powers of [itex]h, a[/itex] are different, there is no way to evaluate the derivative [itex]dx/dV[/itex] without leaving behind some residual terms of [itex]a, h[/itex]. The goal in the first place was to evaluate the derivative solely in [itex]x\equiv a/h[/itex]. Therefore we can't parameterise the equation like you said here.

Can you help, Pasmith, or anybody? This problem has been bothering me for a while.

A simpler approach is to use the relationship between ##a## and ##h## to express ##A## and ##V## in terms of ##h## and the radius of the sphere. That reduces it to a single variable problem.

PeroK said:
A simpler approach is to use the relationship between ##a## and ##h## to express ##A## and ##V## in terms of ##h## and the radius of the sphere. That reduces it to a single variable problem.
[itex]a , h[/itex] are also related by a contact angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. But you can't express a spherical cap uniquely in just that one variable.

I guess I don't really understand what you meant. From what I understand a spherical cap is uniquely described by at least two parameters - one possible combination is the the base width and height [itex]a,h[/itex], and another combination is the radius of curvature and angle [itex]r,\theta[/itex].

babagoslow said:
[itex]a , h[/itex] are also related by a contact angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. But you can't express a spherical cap uniquely in just that one variable.

I guess from what you said that this is not a spherical cap on a given sphere?

PeroK said:
I guess from what you said that this is not a spherical cap on a given sphere?

Yes, that's right, the cap is not on a given sphere. There are two parameters.

babagoslow said:
Yes, that's right, the cap is not on a given sphere. There are two parameters.

So, are you not trying to calculate ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}## ?

PeroK said:
So, are you not trying to calculate ##\frac{\partial A}{\partial V}## ?

That is what I am calculating. As we know, for a sphere, [itex]V(r), A(r)[/itex] and it's easy to calculate [itex]\frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{dA}{dr} \frac{dr}{dV}[/itex]. But what happens when these two quantities are functions of more than one variable, ie, [itex]V(a,h), A(a,h)[/itex]? Then how would we calculate [itex]\partial A/\partial V[/itex]?

babagoslow said:
That is what I am calculating. As we know, for a sphere, [itex]V(r), A(r)[/itex] and it's easy to calculate [itex]\frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{dA}{dr} \frac{dr}{dV}[/itex]. But what happens when these two quantities are functions of more than one variable, ie, [itex]V(a,h), A(a,h)[/itex]? Then how would we calculate [itex]\partial A/\partial V[/itex]?

I think your problem is that you also need to specify which variable is constant for your partial derivative. For example, you could express A as a function of V and h, say:

##A = f(V, h)##

And then you could calculate [itex]\partial A/\partial V = \partial f/\partial V [/itex] where h is held constant.

But, you could also find:

##A = g(V, a)##

And then you could calculate [itex]\partial A/\partial V= \partial g/\partial V [/itex] where a is held constant. And these would be different functions with different numerical values.

Or, you could hold ##a/h## constant etc.

That's why I assumed it was a fixed sphere, when you have V as a function of A with no other independent variables and can find ##\frac{dA}{dV}##

babagoslow said:

Homework Statement

Consider a spherical cap, for which the surface area and volume is

[tex]A(a,h) = \pi(a^2 +h^2)[/tex]
[tex]V(a,h) = \frac{\pi h}{6}(3a^2 +h^2)[/tex]

What would the aspect ratio [itex]dA/dV[/itex] be?

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly we would have

[tex]dA = 2\pi a da + 2\pi h dh[/tex]
[tex]dV = \pi ha da + \frac{\pi}{2}(a^2+h^2) dh [/tex]

but what would the chain rule look like? Surely, it should have more terms than just

[tex]\frac{dA}{dV } = \frac{\partial A}{\partial a} \frac{\partial a}{\partial V} + \frac{\partial A}{\partial h}\frac{\partial h}{\partial V}[/tex]

, right?

Your question is not well-defined (as many others have also indicated). However, it is not very difficult to extract answers to more pointed questions. We have
[tex] \Delta A = 2 \pi a \, \Delta a + 2 \pi h \, \Delta h, \\
\Delta V = \pi h a \, \Delta a + \frac{\pi}{2}(a^2+h^2) \, \Delta h \\
\text{so}\\
\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta V} =
\frac{2 \pi a \, \Delta a + 2 \pi h \, \Delta h}{\pi h a \, \Delta a + (\pi /2)(a^2+h^2) \, \Delta h}
[/tex]
This implies the following.
(1) If ##a## is a function of ##h## we get
[tex] \frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{2 \pi a (da/dh) + 2 \pi h}{\pi h a (da/dh) + (\pi/2) (a^2 + h^2)}[/tex]
(2) If ##h## is a function of ##a## we get
[tex] \frac{dA}{dV} = \frac{2 \pi a+ 2 \pi h (dh/da)}{\pi h a + (\pi/2)(a^2+h^2) (dh/da)} [/tex]
(3) If ##h## is a constant, the derivative ##(dA/dV)_h## --which is Thermodynamics-style notation, indicating that ##h## is held constant--has the form
[tex] \left( \frac{d A}{d V} \right)_{h} = \frac{ 2 \pi a}{\pi h a}.[/tex]
(4) If ##a## is a constant, the derivative ##(dA/dV)_a## is
[tex] \left( \frac{dA}{dV}\right)_a = \frac{2 \pi h}{(\pi/2)(a^2+h^2)}[/tex]

You get many different answers, depending on what you mean by the question to begin with.

1. What is an implicit multivariable derivative?

An implicit multivariable derivative is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to multiple independent variables, where the relationship between the variables is not explicitly given.

2. What is a spherical cap?

A spherical cap is a portion of a sphere that is bounded by a circular base and a curved surface.

3. How is the implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap calculated?

The implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap can be calculated using the partial derivative of the dependent variable with respect to each independent variable. These partial derivatives are then combined to form a vector known as the gradient.

4. What is the significance of the implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap?

The implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, geology, and fluid mechanics. It allows for the analysis of complex systems where multiple variables are involved, and helps in predicting how changes in these variables will affect the overall system.

5. Are there any practical applications of the implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the implicit multivariable derivative of a spherical cap. It is used in the study of fluid flow in pipes and channels, the analysis of geological formations, and in the design of structures such as domes and arches.