1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicitly differentiating PDE (multivariable calculus)

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    The problem:
    Find the value of dz/dx at the point (1,1,1) if the equation xy+z3x-2yz=0 defines z as a function of the two independent variables x and y and the partial derivative exists.

I don't know how to approach the z3x part. I thought you would use the product rule and get 3(dz/dx)2x + z3. But if that is right, the final equation looks something like

y + 3x(dz/dx)2 + z3 - 2y(dz/dx) = 0

And I don't think that is right. The only way I know to solve that would be with the quadratic equation and that gives a complex value. Am I forgeting the chain rule somewhere or just way off on approaching this problem?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2
    I have done very little multivariable so this could easily be wrong, but if you implicitly differentiated z^3x shouldn't you get 3z^2x*dz/dx + z^3?
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    That's right because you have the 3z2x(dz/dx) + z3(dx/dx). I don't know what I was thinking... Thank You!
  5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    You didn't apply the chain rule, remember df(u)/dx = f(u)'*du/dx
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?