Importance of constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying constrained Hamiltonian dynamics and BRST transformations as a method for treating systems with singular Lagrangians. The speaker is unsure if these techniques are still relevant in modern physics, as there are other formalisms and approaches, such as directly working with the Lagrangian or using path integrals. However, the benefits of studying constrained Hamiltonian dynamics are emphasized, as it provides insight into non-abelian gauge theories and the correct way to use path integrals in certain cases. The speaker also recommends studying constraints from a formal, algebraic approach and mentions the importance of understanding the origin of ghosts in the path integral for QCD.
sphyrch
(First of all apologies for the long wall of text)

I am to study BRST transformations, for which I'm currently trying to understand constrained Hamiltonian dynamics to treat systems with singular Lagrangians. The crude recipe followed is Lagrangian -> Hamiltonian -> Dirac brackets and their quantization. I have been told that these techniques are used in QFT, string theory/high energy , etc.

My question is are these formalisms indeed good and useful to learn? I'm confused because there are other formalisms and recipes (for example directly working with the Lagrangian). From a modern perspective, are these relevant? And does there exist any other formalism that I should not ignore? I will be starting my graduation soon; is it late to be studying constrained H formalism/BRST?

(I want to know how beneficial it is to study constrained Hamiltonian approach, because I'm not sure whether it's obsolete, having been replaced by better approaches (like path integrals?) which I should rather pay attention to. I'm not even sure what is the extent of applicability of constrained Hamiltonian dynamics..)

Thanks

EDIT: Directly working with Lagrangian as in one doesn't bother with the Hamiltonian in that approach, direct quantization from the Lagrangian stage. I have also heard that there are other approaches like Feynman path integrals, etc. But I don't know about their relative merits, and that's what I want to be clear about.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's obsolete. You gain a lot of insight about non-abelian gauge theories studying them also in the covariant operator formalism. It's of course good to begin with the path-integral formalism to understand where the more complicated operator formalism comes from. Then you should first study the Abelian case (QED) to get familiar with the concepts (Gupta Bleuler quantization is also an intermediate step).

Another point is that you should be aware that also in the path-integral formalism you should always start in the hamiltonian form, because this is the only correct one. Only in special cases, by integrating out the canonical field momenta, you come to the "naive" Lagrangian path integral. That's often the case but not always!

Already for simple qft models you obtain a wrong result if studying many-body QFT with finite chemical potentials when using the naive Lagrangian path integral as compared to the Hamiltonian path integral and then integrating out the canonical field momenta. I recommend to do this exercise for a simple free charged-boson QFT with chemical potential!

Even a formal, algebraic approach to the subject of constraints is useful, not to mention the advanced one in terms of fiber bundles. There's no way to <guess> the path integral for QCD (as an example) without knowing where the ghosts come from.

1. What is the significance of constrained Hamilton dynamics in physics?

Constrained Hamilton dynamics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of physical systems with constraints, such as motion in a fixed plane or conservation of energy. It allows us to study the dynamics of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. How do BRST transformations relate to constrained Hamilton dynamics?

BRST transformations are a special type of symmetry transformation that is used to maintain the constraints in the Hamiltonian formalism. They allow us to incorporate constraints into the equations of motion and ensure that the physical predictions of the system are consistent.

3. Why are constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations important in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations play a crucial role in maintaining gauge invariance, which is a fundamental principle of the theory. They also allow us to quantize systems with constraints, which would otherwise be impossible using traditional methods.

4. Can constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations can be applied to any system with constraints, whether it is a classical or quantum system. They are particularly useful in systems with gauge symmetries, such as electromagnetism and the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. How do constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations impact our understanding of fundamental physics?

Constrained Hamilton dynamics and BRST transformations have revolutionized our understanding of fundamental physics by allowing us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of complex physical systems. They have also played a crucial role in the development of theories such as quantum field theory and the Standard Model.