Why is the Limit 0+ Used in the Evaluation of This Improper Integral?

In summary: I'm not completely sure I follow you, but the function in the integral is defined only for positive real numbers: whatever you want to do with it will have to comply with this restriction. Thus, there is not meaning to the expression \lim_{x\to 0^-}\sqrt x as it assumes the existence of the square roots of negative numbers within the real numbers, which is absurd.
marellasunny
[tex]
\int_0^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]
=

[tex]
\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0+}\int_\varepsilon^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

My question is about the usage of 0+ in the limit.(I evaluated the integrals and arrived at the part where I substitute upper and lower limits.)
Did the author deliberately choose to use [tex]\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0+} [/tex] instead of 0 or 0- so that any imaginary numbers arising from the expression [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex] do not arise?
Or is there any other reason?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
[tex]
\int_0^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]
=

[tex]
\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0+}\int_\varepsilon^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

My question is about the usage of 0+ in the limit.(I evaluated the integrals and arrived at the part where I substitute upper and lower limits.)
Did the author deliberately choose to use [tex]\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0+} [/tex] instead of 0 or 0- so that any imaginary numbers arising from the [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex] do not arise?
Or is there any other reason?
Thanks.

I don't know what author you're talking about, but taking that limit is what has to be done simply by the definition of improper

integral with one of the limits being a point of unboundness for the function...

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
I don't know what author you're talking about, but taking that limit is what has to be done simply by the definition of improper

integral with one of the limits being a point of unboundness for the function...

DonAntonio

Yes,i understand this case.But,what if I had a case of a function best described by limit->0-?
Will I not have a problem when I substitute 0- into the square root?

I can't exactly describe the function,I mean it for some arbitrary function have variable 'x' under the square root and me having to apply limit->0-.Wont this give rise to a imaginary number?

Taking the limit from below would result in the expression being undefined.

marellasunny said:
Yes,i understand this case.But,what if I had a case of a function best described by limit->0-?
Will I not have a problem when I substitute 0- into the square root?

I can't exactly describe the function,I mean it for some arbitrary function have variable 'x' under the square root and me having to apply limit->0-.Wont this give rise to a imaginary number?

I'm not completely sure I follow you, but the function in the integral is defined only for positive real numbers: whatever you want

to do with it will have to comply with this restriction. Thus, there is not meaning to the expression
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^-}\sqrt x[/tex]
as it assumes the existence of the square roots of negative numbers within the real numbers, which is absurd.

DonAntonio

1. What is an improper integral limit?

An improper integral limit is a limit in which one or both of the boundaries of integration approach infinity, or where the integrand has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration.

2. How is an improper integral limit different from a regular integral?

An improper integral limit differs from a regular integral in that it deals with integrals where the boundaries of integration are infinite or where the integrand has a vertical asymptote. This requires special techniques to evaluate the integral.

3. How do you determine if an integral has an improper limit?

An integral has an improper limit if one or both of the boundaries of integration are infinite or if the integrand has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. This can be determined by examining the integrand and the boundaries of integration.

4. What techniques can be used to evaluate an improper integral limit?

There are several techniques that can be used to evaluate an improper integral limit, including the limit comparison test, the ratio test, and the comparison test. Other techniques such as integration by parts or substitution may also be used depending on the specific integrand.

5. Why is it important to understand improper integral limits?

Understanding improper integral limits is important because they allow us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve. Many real-world problems involve integrals with infinite boundaries or vertical asymptotes, so understanding how to handle these types of integrals is crucial in many areas of science and mathematics.