Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and Net Force Equations

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    I have a problem in trying to express a net force equation for a falling elastic object when collision ensues.

For instance, you drop a spring with a spring coefficient k. the spring compresses a distance x after a time t for a maximum time of tf and distance xf. the spring has a weight W. during the collision, the ground creates a normal force N which is the result of impulse.

thus, calling the direction upward the positive y-axis, the net force on y = N - W - kx. My question is, what does the net force along y equal? Actually, my real question is if there is a point where N = W + kx. But even if at a certain point there is no total accerlation, you would have an equilibrium equation would you not? Isn't that impossible because if the spring was in equilibrium for even a fraction of time dt, wouldn't it stay at rest?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    You are better attempting this question with the work-energy theorem. Because the force of spring changes over time, integration will be needed.

The maths is the easy part, visualizing the problem is were the work is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?