Impulse Load Timestep: Reverse Engineering to Obtain dt?

In summary, the use of the impulse methodology results in a more accurate determination of the final force.
gmseed
Hi

I have a question regarding the dt timestep of an impulse load as discussed in the following video:

He uses dt=10ms. If we set dt=8 or 9 or 11 we get widely different values for Fmax.

Thus, a lot of such impulse loading boils down to the correct selection of dt.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or a more advanced method for reverse engineering a system to obtain dt? I have a system that includes a dt from impulse loading and as discussed above get very different results for small changes in dt.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gmseed said:
He uses dt=10ms. If we set dt=8 or 9 or 11 we get widely different values for Fmax.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or a more advanced method for reverse engineering a system to obtain dt? I have a system that includes a dt from impulse loading and as discussed above get very different results for small changes in dt.

You don't say your criteria for deciding which answer is correct.

If you are modeling a real life system, then the shapes and materials and how elastic the objects are all play critical roles. So in the idealized model shown, all of the dt values might be correct for some unknown physical system.

Perhaps the lesson for you to learn is the sensitivity of Fmax to dt.

gmseed said:
Hi

I have a question regarding the dt timestep of an impulse load as discussed in the following video:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

I don't quite understand your question. Why would dt be anything else but 10 ms? The graph of the applied force clearly shows the time period that the force is acting. Why should it be 8 or 9 of 11 ms?

This is not something arbitrary or a matter of preference. dt in this case has a specific meaning, not simply any old "time".

Zz.

Surely the use of the concept of Impulse removes the need for a delta t. The value of the impulse is an integral over the total time that a variable force is applied. If you need an idea about the ‘effective delta t’ then an ‘effective’or average for the applied Force would be needed.

What is an impulse load timestep?

An impulse load timestep is a small time increment used in reverse engineering to analyze the effects of a sudden impact or force on a system.

Why is it important to obtain dt in reverse engineering?

Obtaining dt, or the impulse load timestep, is important in reverse engineering because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of a system under sudden impacts or forces. This is especially crucial in fields such as automotive and aerospace engineering.

How is dt calculated?

Dt is typically calculated by dividing the duration of the impact or force by the number of steps or intervals required for accurate analysis. This can vary depending on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

What factors can affect the accuracy of dt in reverse engineering?

The accuracy of dt can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the system, the magnitude and direction of the impulse load, and the level of damping or resistance in the system. It is important to carefully consider these factors when determining the appropriate value for dt.

Are there any limitations to using dt in reverse engineering?

While dt is a useful tool in reverse engineering, it is important to note that it is only an approximation of the actual behavior of a system. Other factors such as friction and nonlinearities may also affect the accuracy of the analysis. Therefore, it is important to always validate the results obtained from dt with real-world testing.