1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In algebra I'm having trouble with this definition: simple extension

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    In algebra I'm having trouble with this definition:

The extensions K of F is a simple extension of F if F = F(a) for some a in K.

What I understand so far:

F is a set. But the notation F(a) has me lost-- what is it? Is is the values you get when you plug a in to any polynomial over th field F? So, one value in the set F(a) would be:

Where the bi are from F ? And I can make any polynomial like that then fin it's value for a?

This is hard to think about.

Also... is the meaning for F(a,b) ... that I can plug in a or b? or can I mix and match like this:

Is that in F(a, b)... or is it just stuff like:

with the ci in F.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you "understand" apparently is not correct. F is NOT just a set, it is a subFIELD of K. If F is a subfield of K and a is a member of K, then F(a) is the smallest subfield of K that contains all member of F and a. If, for example, a is already in F, then F(a)= F. If a is not in F then F(a) is some larger field, the "extension" field.

Here's an example. Let F be the field of real numbers and R be the field of rational numbers. [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is a real number but not a rational number. What is the smallest field that contains all rational numbers and [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Since a field must be closed under multiplication, it certainly must contain any number of the form [itex]a\sqrt{2}[/itex] where a is any rational number. Since a field is closed under addition, it must contain any number of the form [itex]a\sqrt{2}+ b[/itex] where a and b are rational numbers. We don't have to specifically mention numbers of the form [itex]a\sqrt{2}+ b\sqrt{2}[/itex] because that is equal to [itex](a+b)\sqrt{2}[/itex], already a "rational number times [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]". But, again because a field is closed under multiplication, it must contain things like [itex](a\sqrt{2}+ b)(c\sqrt{2}+ d)[/itex]. Multiplying that out, we get [itex]ac(2)+ (ad+bc)\sqrt{2}+ bd= (2ac+bd)+ (ad+bc)\sqrt{2}[/itex], already of the form "a rational number times [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] plus a rational number".

But a field also contains multiplicative inverses for all non-zero numbers. What is the multiplicative inverse of [itex]a\sqrt{2}+ b[/itex]? "Rationalize" the denominator of
    [tex]\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}+ b}[/tex]
    by multiplying numerator and denominator by [itex]a\sqrt{2}- b[/itex]:
    [tex]\frac{1}{a\sqrt{2}+ b}\frac{a\sqrt{2}-b}{a\sqrt{2}-b}= \frac{a\sqrt{2}-b}{2a^2-b^2}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{a}{2a^2- b^2}\sqrt{2}+\frac{-b}{2a^2- b^2}[/itex]
    again a "rational number times [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] plus a rational number."
    (Note that [itex]2a^2- b^2[/itex] cannot be 0- if [itex]2a^2- b^2= 0[/itex], then [itex]2a^2= b^2[/itex] so [itex]b^2/a^2= 2[/itex] or [itex]b/a= \sqrt{2}[/itex], which is impossible as [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is not a rational number.)

In other words, every member of [itex]Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex] can be written in the form "[itex]a\sqrt{2}+ b[/itex]" for rational numbers a and b. Notice that is the same as saying that we can use "[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]" and "1" as "basis vectors" to write [itex]Q(\sqrt{2})[/itex] as a vector space of dimension 2 over the rational numbers.

All of that clearly depends on the algebraic properties of "[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]". I don't know where you got the exponents "3" and "9". Now, I don't know where you got the exponents 3 and 6 but they would have to depend on the specific value of "a". Is it something like "[itex]^9\sqrt{x}[/itex]" for some rational number x?

What can be shown is "If a is algebraic of degree n, then Q(a) can be written as a vector space of dimension n over the rational numbers." "Algebraic of degree n" means "satisfies a polynomial equation with rational coefficients but no such polynomial equation of lower degree". "A vector space of dimension n over the rational numbers" means we can pick out n numbers in the set and write all the others as sums of rational numbers times those n numbers. [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is "algebraic of order 2" because it satisfies x2= 2 but no linear equation. The two "basis" vectors, as I said above, are "1" and "[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]". The number [itex]^9\sqrt{n}[/itex] where n is, say, an integer, not a perfect 9th power,or cube, is algebraic of degree 9. If it happens to be a perfect cube, then [itex]^9\sqrt{n}[/itex] is algebraic of order 3 which looks like the case here.

But, again, the way you can write members of F(a) depends strongly on what both F and a are! In fact, there exist numbers, like "e" and "[itex]\pi[/itex]" that are "transcendental", not algebraic of any degree. Members of Q(e) or [itex]Q(\pi)[/itex] cannot be written in that way at all.
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3

Okay that helped a lot. So, just to see if I'm getting this the members of [tex]Q(\pi)[/tex] would be everything in Q, [tex]\pi[/tex], and all of the other real numbers we'd need to make that a field.

So, we'd also need [tex]r \pi[/tex] where r is rational. We'd need [tex]r_{1} \pi + r_{2}[/tex]... [tex](r_{1} \pi + r_{2})(r_{3} \pi + r_{4}) = r_{5} \pi^{2}+ r_{6} \pi + r_{7}[/tex]... so we also require the powers of [tex]\pi[/tex]... so any polynomial with rational coefficient ... and then you can plug in pi.

A field needs multiplicative inverses, if we let the powers of the polynomial be integers we have those... But the thing is this only works for Q-- because in Q we are able to show that the required elements for the field are in the form of the polynomial ... OK. I think that makes sense--- But, if we don't know what the field is we don't know that it will take on the polynomial form.
  5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The required elements for the field are NOT always in the form of a polynomial. For [tex]Q(\pi)[/tex] you need [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex] which in this case can't be written as a polynomial in terms of pi (if it could, then pi would be algebraic)

Often, the element you're extending the field by is the solution to a polynomial [tex]p(x) = a_0 + a_1x +... + a_nx^n[/tex] where the ai's are all in your base field. In cases like these the field extension behaves nicely... for example, if your new element is a solution and we call it 'a', p(a) = 0 gives us [tex] 0 = a_0 + a_1a +... + a_na^n[/tex] so dividing both sides by a and rearranging we get

[tex]\frac{1}{a} = -\frac{1}{a_0}*(a_1 + a_2a +... + a_na^{n-1})[/tex] (if the constant term is zero, you just need to divide by a twice, or three times, or however many times to get a 1/a term).

In fact, it turns out that if you're extending by an algebraic element (some a s.t. p(a) = 0 for a polynomial in the base field) then your field extension is always a finite dimensional vector space over the base field. If the element isn't algebraic, then your field extension is never a finite dimensional vector space over the base field
  6. Nov 11, 2008 #5
    Office_Shredder, I meant a polynomial where the powers could be any integers... that would cover [tex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex] right?

This comment is very helpful-- I think I'm starting to get this a little more. I've been confused because of something my prof. said-- I might have heard him wrong, but he was explaining the difference between:

F[x] and F(x)

He said that F[x] is the set of all polynomials in x with coefficients from the field F. And F(x) is the set of polynomials and quotients of polynomials. Is this true for all kinds of fields?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?