How do I find the second solution using the Frobenius method?

In summary, the conversation is about finding two linearly independent solutions for the equation x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'+(4x-2)y=0. The roots of the indicial polynomial are r_{1}=2 and r_{2}=-1, and one solution has been found as x^{2}. The conversation then discusses the difficulty in finding the second solution and how to deal with the undefined recurrence relation. The solution is to make an ansatz for the second solution, y_2(x)=\gamma y_1(x) \ln x+x^{r_2} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} C_k x^k, and solve for the coefficients
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

I want to find two linearly independent solutions of
$$
x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'+(4x-2)y=0.
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The roots to the indicial polynomial are ##r_{1}=2## and ##r_{2}=-1##.
I found one solution which was ##x^{2}## and I am having trouble finding the second solution.
After all of the arithmetic I came up with the equation
$$
[r(r-1)-2]c_{0}+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty}\left[(k+r)(k+r-1)-2\right]c_{k}x^{k}+4c_{k-1}x^{k}-2c_{k-1}(k+r-1)x^{k}.
$$
I let ##r=-1## so that I get
$$
\left[(k-1)(k-2)-2\right]c_{k}+4c_{k-1}-2c_{k-1}(k-2)=0
$$
and so
$$
c_{k}=\frac{2(k-4)c_{k-1}}{k(k-3)}.
$$
The recurrence relation becomes undefined for k=3 and onwards. How do I deal with this? The solution skips ##c_{3}## and seemingly magically obtains a formula for ##c_{4}## and onwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all I guess the equation should be
[tex]x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'-(4x+2)y=0,[/tex]
because otherwitse [itex]y(x)=x^2[/itex] isn't a solution, and your indical roots are not [itex]2[/itex] and [itex]-1[/itex].

Assuming the above ODE, you get the indical equation to be yours,
[tex]r(r-1)-2=0 \; \Rightarrow r_1=2, \quad r_2=-1,[/tex]
and the recursion equation reads (after some algebra)
[tex]C_k k(k+2r-1)-2 C_{k-1}(k+r-3)=0.[/tex]

Now here you have the special case of a Fuchs-class ODE, where the difference of the indical roots is natural and not 0. In this case you always have this "problem" with the coefficient of [itex]c_{r_1-r_2}[/itex] becoming [itex]0[/itex] for the solution for the smaller indical root, [itex]r<2[/itex]. For the solution [itex]y_1[/itex] referring to the larger indical root, there is no problem with the recursion. Given this solution, the correct ansatz for the 2nd linearly independent solution is
[tex]y_2(x)=\gamma y_1(x) \ln x+x^{r_2} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} C_k x^k.[/tex]
Of course you assume [itex]C_0 \neq 0[/itex]. Then for [itex]k<r_1-r_2[/itex] the recursion can be used to get the coefficients for these [itex]k[/itex]. For [itex]k=r_1-r_2[/itex] you find that you can set [itex]C_{r_1-r_2}=0[/itex] and then get [itex]\gamma[/itex] uniquely, and for [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex] you get another recursion relation which is well-defined for the [itex]C_k[/itex] with [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex].

vanhees71 said:
First of all I guess the equation should be
[tex]x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'-(4x+2)y=0,[/tex]
because otherwitse [itex]y(x)=x^2[/itex] isn't a solution, and your indical roots are not [itex]2[/itex] and [itex]-1[/itex].

Assuming the above ODE, you get the indical equation to be yours,
[tex]r(r-1)-2=0 \; \Rightarrow r_1=2, \quad r_2=-1,[/tex]
and the recursion equation reads (after some algebra)
[tex]C_k k(k+2r-1)-2 C_{k-1}(k+r-3)=0.[/tex]

Now here you have the special case of a Fuchs-class ODE, where the difference of the indical roots is natural and not 0. In this case you always have this "problem" with the coefficient of [itex]c_{r_1-r_2}[/itex] becoming [itex]0[/itex] for the solution for the smaller indical root, [itex]r<2[/itex]. For the solution [itex]y_1[/itex] referring to the larger indical root, there is no problem with the recursion. Given this solution, the correct ansatz for the 2nd linearly independent solution is
[tex]y_2(x)=\gamma y_1(x) \ln x+x^{r_2} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} C_k x^k.[/tex]
Of course you assume [itex]C_0 \neq 0[/itex]. Then for [itex]k<r_1-r_2[/itex] the recursion can be used to get the coefficients for these [itex]k[/itex]. For [itex]k=r_1-r_2[/itex] you find that you can set [itex]C_{r_1-r_2}=0[/itex] and then get [itex]\gamma[/itex] uniquely, and for [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex] you get another recursion relation which is well-defined for the [itex]C_k[/itex] with [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex].

The equation is ##x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'+(4x-2)y=0##. Unless I'm completely crazy, ##y(x)=x^{2}## is a solution.

Argh. When copying your equation to a piece of paper, I wrote [itex]+2x^2y'[/itex] for the middle term. Of course, you are right, for
[tex]x^2 y''-2x^2 y'+(4x-2)y=0[/tex]
one solution is [itex]y_1=x^2[/itex].

The rest of my posting is, however correct. For [itex]r=-1[/itex] you make the ansatz
[tex]y(x)=\gamma x^2 \ln x+z(x), \quad z(x)=\frac{1}{x} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} d_k x^k.[/tex]
This plugged into the ODE you get after some algebra the equation
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} [d_k k(k-3)+d_{k-1} (8-2k)] x^k=(-3x^3+2x^4)\gamma.[/tex]
Setting [itex]d_0=1[/itex] you get recursively all the [itex]d_k[/itex] by comparing coefficients. [itex]d_3[/itex] is of course arbitrary. You can set it to [itex]0[/itex].

Ah! Thanks! I see what I was doing wrong now. I was plugging in ##y(x)=z(x)## to try to get the second solution instead of the correct ##y(x)=cx^{2}\ln x+z(x)##. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used in solving linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It involves finding a power series solution to the equation and using recursion to determine the coefficients of the series.

2. When is the Frobenius method used?

The Frobenius method is commonly used when the coefficients of a linear differential equation are not constant, making it difficult to solve using standard methods such as separation of variables or substitution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method allows for the solution of a wider range of differential equations, including those with non-constant coefficients. It also provides a systematic approach for finding the solution, making it easier to verify the accuracy of the solution.

4. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius method?

One limitation of the Frobenius method is that it may not be applicable to all types of differential equations. It also requires a certain level of mathematical knowledge and skill to apply effectively.

5. How do I use the Frobenius method?

To use the Frobenius method, you must first rewrite the differential equation in a standard form and then assume a power series solution. From there, you can use recursion to determine the coefficients of the series and find the solution to the equation.