1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Mechanical Wave v = w/k. EM wave w/k = c. How Equated ?

1. May 13, 2015 #1

morrobay

Gold Member

With ω/k = 2π/T / 2π/λ = velocity for both transverse mechanical waves and EM waves.
    I can understand velocity as distance over time in mechanical wave. But how is the ratio Em/Bm = ω/k = c.
    That is the maximum amplitudes of the E and B fields in the y and z planes corresponding to c in x direction ?
    Is it correct to say that the " leading edges" of the E and B fields in y and z planes are at c ?

http://www.santarosa.edu/~lwillia2/42/WaveEquationDerivation.pdf

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

morrobay

Gold Member

Too late edit : With dE/dx and t constant, dB/dt and x constant --> ∂E/∂x = - ∂B/∂t .... then to ω/k = Em/Bm = c. Does answer the change in x/change in t question. Again still not sure how this is related to amplitudes ?

4. May 14, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The velocity of propagation for a transverse wave is not related to the amplitude of the wave at all.

5. May 14, 2015 #4

morrobay

Gold Member

Well thats my question , with ω/k = Emax/Bmax = c. (from Halliday-Resnick) The propagation velocity is related to amplitude. Unless I am misinterpreting Em/Bm

6. May 14, 2015 #5

morrobay

Gold Member

This is from a page in the text : kEm cos (kx-ωt) = ωBm cos (kx-ωt).
    ω/k = Em/Bm = c
    Thus the speed of wave c is the ratio of the amplitude of the electric and magnetic components of the wave.
    So can someone show how Em/Bm = ω/k ?

7. May 15, 2015 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Consider the following plane wave as an example: $$\vec E = \hat x E_m \cos (kz - \omega t) \\ \vec B = \hat y B_m \cos (kz - \omega t) $$ where ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## are unit vectors in the x and y directions. That is, ##\vec E## and ##\vec B## are in the x and y directions respectively, and the wave propagates in the z direction. Substitute these into the third Maxwell equation in free space: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac {\partial \vec B}{\partial t}$$ and you will get the desired result.

[added: I originally had ##E_m## instead of ##B_m## in my equation for ##\vec B## above. I've fixed this.]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook