Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Mechanical Wave v = w/k. EM wave w/k = c. How Equated ?

1. May 13, 2015 #1

morrobay

Gold Member

With ω/k = 2π/T / 2π/λ = velocity for both transverse mechanical waves and EM waves.
    I can understand velocity as distance over time in mechanical wave. But how is the ratio Em/Bm = ω/k = c.
    That is the maximum amplitudes of the E and B fields in the y and z planes corresponding to c in x direction ?
    Is it correct to say that the " leading edges" of the E and B fields in y and z planes are at c ?

http://www.santarosa.edu/~lwillia2/42/WaveEquationDerivation.pdf

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

morrobay

Gold Member

Too late edit : With dE/dx and t constant, dB/dt and x constant --> ∂E/∂x = - ∂B/∂t .... then to ω/k = Em/Bm = c. Does answer the change in x/change in t question. Again still not sure how this is related to amplitudes ?

4. May 14, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The velocity of propagation for a transverse wave is not related to the amplitude of the wave at all.

5. May 14, 2015 #4

morrobay

Gold Member

Well thats my question , with ω/k = Emax/Bmax = c. (from Halliday-Resnick) The propagation velocity is related to amplitude. Unless I am misinterpreting Em/Bm

6. May 14, 2015 #5

morrobay

Gold Member

This is from a page in the text : kEm cos (kx-ωt) = ωBm cos (kx-ωt).
    ω/k = Em/Bm = c
    Thus the speed of wave c is the ratio of the amplitude of the electric and magnetic components of the wave.
    So can someone show how Em/Bm = ω/k ?

7. May 15, 2015 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Consider the following plane wave as an example: $$\vec E = \hat x E_m \cos (kz - \omega t) \\ \vec B = \hat y B_m \cos (kz - \omega t) $$ where ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## are unit vectors in the x and y directions. That is, ##\vec E## and ##\vec B## are in the x and y directions respectively, and the wave propagates in the z direction. Substitute these into the third Maxwell equation in free space: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac {\partial \vec B}{\partial t}$$ and you will get the desired result.

[added: I originally had ##E_m## instead of ##B_m## in my equation for ##\vec B## above. I've fixed this.]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook