Intensity of EM wave independent of frequency?

In summary: Sorry, can't help you there.In summary, the energy transmitted per second per unit area only depends on the amplitude of the electric field.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I'm a bit puzzled that the classical formula for the intensity of a monochromatic, linear EM wave
$$I=\frac{1}{2}\cdot c\cdot \varepsilon_0\cdot E_0 ^2$$
seems to be independent of frequency whereas I find for the energy of a mechanical wave (e.g. on a string with total mass ##M##)
$$E=2\pi^2\cdot f^2\cdot A^2\cdot M\enspace .$$

Am I comparing apples and oranges or is it true that the energy transmitted per second per unit area only depends on the amplitude of the electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The intensity of a wave is usually per period of the wave, so it is very dependent on frequency.

I get easily confused with all those radiometry units. What I meant is the energy a wave carries through a surface per unit area per unit time, or power per unit area. This seems to be "irradiance". But the formula seems to be exactly the same (if the wave propagates perpendicularly to the surface). Still, no frequency. Since this is per unit time it is normalized to one second, not to a period of the wave.

FactChecker said:
The intensity of a wave is usually per period of the wave, so it is very dependent on frequency.

really ?
so if I have a 10W transmitter on 144MHz and I increase the power to 20W, you are telling me the freq is going to change ?

davenn said:
really ?
so if I have a 10W transmitter on 144MHz and I increase the power to 20W, you are telling me the freq is going to change ?
No. Why would you think that? It is just how the term "intensity" is defined for a wave. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics)
You should draw appropriate logical conclusions about the relation between a wave's "intensity", frequency, and power.

FactChecker said:
No. Why would you think that?

because it is what you stated

yet your link prefers a non freq dependence what is opposite to what you said
I don't see any frequency relationship in your link ??

davenn said:
because it is what you stated

yet your link prefers a non freq dependence what is opposite to what you said
I don't see any frequency relationship in your link ??
I see your point. If something is measured on a per-unit basis, perhaps it should not be called dependent on the unit of measurement. But a change of units (like 1 cycle at two different frequencies) definitely changes things. That is what I meant. The frequency definitely has to be considered and has an effect. I think that is what the OP was expecting.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
That is what I meant. The frequency definitely has to be considered and has an effect. I think that is what the OP was expecting.

Unless some one can show me specifics, I would have to disagree with that
Again, using a larger step, transmit 10W step up to 100W the freq isn't going to change
if it did, it would make a lot of systems used today useless, but we know that doesn't happen

from your wiki link
In physics, intensity is the power transferred per unit area, where the area is measured on the plane perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the energy.[1] In the SI system, it has units watts per square metre (W/m2). It is used most frequently with waves (e.g. sound or light), in which case the average power transfer over one period of the wave is used.

Now, if I do that power level increase as I stated, the intensity is going to change. There IS going to be a higher intensity ( W/m2 ) but it has nothing to do with the frequency being used.

Note the last sentence in the quote ... "in which case the average power transfer over one period of the wave is used"
The period/cycle is whatever you choose, there is no freq dependence. :smile:

To follow on from that. just as an aside ...
commercial transceivers use frequency control, not because they can change in power level and need to stop the frequency changing with different power levels. Frequency control is used to ensure the transmitter and receiver oscillators conform to their licenced frequency allocations.
So that the say, TV station technician can say the transmitter in transmitting on this freq (channel allocation) with this amount of bandwidth.

That is why free running oscillators are not used ... aging components, changing temperatures and other issues all conspire to cause undesirable changes in frequency ( frequency drift) ( regardless of the transmitter power)Dave

Last edited:
davenn said:
Unless some one can show me specifics, I would have to disagree with that
Again, using a larger step, transmit 10W step up to 100W the freq isn't going to change
There is no reason to say it would. Given a common definition of the term "intensity" for a wave, which is per cycle, one will have to use the correct corresponding relationships between intensity, power, and frequency. There are other definitions of the term "intensity" which are apparently not what was being used in the OP. In any case, changing intensity does not automatically force a frequency change.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between intensity and frequency of an EM wave?

The intensity of an EM wave is independent of its frequency. This means that the amplitude (strength) of the wave is not affected by its frequency.

2. How is intensity of an EM wave measured?

The intensity of an EM wave is measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m2). This measures the rate of energy transfer per unit area of the wave.

3. Can the intensity of an EM wave be changed by altering its frequency?

No, the intensity of an EM wave is not affected by changes in its frequency. The intensity of an EM wave is only affected by changes in its amplitude.

4. How does the intensity of an EM wave affect its energy?

The intensity of an EM wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that a wave with higher intensity will have more energy than a wave with lower intensity.

5. What factors can affect the intensity of an EM wave?

The intensity of an EM wave can be affected by the distance from the source, the angle at which the wave is received, and any obstacles or interference in its path. Additionally, the intensity can also be affected by the medium through which the wave is traveling.