1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In QM: How to derive <x|f> from f_n(x)?

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you have a function f_n(x), how do you get the equivalent representation <x|f>?

2. Relevant equations

I have a system with a given Hamiltonian (not in matrix-form), from which I derived the specter of energy eigenvalues E_n, and the corresponding energy eigenfunctions f_n(x). However, I am asked to derive the eigenstates in the form <x|f> also, how do I do that?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f_n(x) is equivalent to [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex]

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, it is "spectrum", not "specter". Although, with Halloween coming, it may be appropriate!

As gabbagabbahey said, f_n(x) IS [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex] . <x, f> is the sum of [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex] over all n.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the answers! So what is then meant by

“When you have found the spectrum of energy-eigenvalues, find the corresponding energy-eigenstates, both the abstract number basis and the concrete position-representation <x|f>.”?

Is “the abstract number basis” the same as f_n(x) (the one I have found)? And is “the concrete position representation <x|f>” then the sum of f_n(x) over all n?

And thanks for the correction of my misspelling, English is not my mother tounge…

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose one of the energy eigenstates in some abstract basis was

[tex]|f_1 \rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |x \rangle -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |y \rangle[/tex]

Then in the concrete basis it would be [itex]f_1(x)=\langle x|f_1 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?