Incline acceleration force

• Thread starter IMK
  • Start date
IMK
Hello,
I am in a car and accelerating on the horizontal at a rate of say 1mss I wound be subjected to 0.1g acceleration on my back, correct?

However if I accelerate in the same car at the same 1mss up and incline of 45 degrees what would be the g force on my back please? And how do I calculate it , is it the sine of the angle of incline of gravity + my the 1mss driving acceleration.

Many thanks IMK

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am in a car and accelerating on the horizontal at a rate of say 1mss I wound be subjected to 0.1g acceleration on my back, correct?
Assuming g = 10 m.s-2, yes.
However if I accelerate in the same car at the same 1mss up and incline of 45 degrees what would be the g force on my back please? And how do I calculate it , is it the sine of the angle of incline of gravity + my the 1mss driving acceleration.
You would draw yourself a free body diagram and examine the forces acting, resolving them parallel to the slope. And yes, you would find that the force exerted at your back would be the sum of your [combined] weight, resolved parallel to the incline and the force due to the 0.1g acceleration. Note it is always best in this case to work with forces first and then resolve into an acceleration.

Last edited: