Inclined parallel plate capacitor

In summary: This is true for both the parallel rectangular and parallelogram capacitors. However, at a certain point, the capacitance of the two capacitors will be equal, regardless of the angle between the plates. This point will approach zero as the plate separation decreases.
mertcan
upload_2017-9-7_18-8-43.png

upload_2017-9-7_18-5-40.png
hi, I wonder that inclined plate capacitor formula is the formula in last picture I shared? I am not sure because there are not enough examples about that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a derivation before this? It would help since I'm not completely sure what assumptions the authors are making.

NFuller said:
Is there a derivation before this? It would help since I'm not completely sure what assumptions the authors are making.
upload_2017-9-7_20-35-8.png

upload_2017-9-7_20-34-46.png

Here is the total work here.
ALSO I have ANOTHER question : initially we are used to see parallel capacitor of which plates are perpendicular to horizontal plane ( A CAPACITOR LIKE RECTANGULAR ), but let's think a parallel capacitor of which plates make an SAME angle with horizontal plane ( A CAPACITOR LIKE PARALLELOGRAM ).
My question is : A CAPACITOR LIKE RECTANGULAR of which height is same with A CAPACITOR LIKE PARALLELOGRAM has same capacitance with CAPACITOR LIKE PARALLELOGRAM??

Last edited:
mertcan said:
My question is : A CAPACITOR LIKE RECTANGULAR of which height is same with A CAPACITOR LIKE PARALLELOGRAM has same capacitance with CAPACITOR LIKE PARALLELOGRAM??
Are you asking at what plate separation the capacitance of a normal parallel plate capacitor equals that of a capacitor with both plates at some common angle?

If so, then the two capacitors will approach the same value as the plate separation approaches zero.
mertcan said:
hi, I wonder that inclined plate capacitor formula is the formula in last picture I shared? I am not sure because there are not enough examples about that ?
They appear to be using two approximations here ##\text{tan}\alpha\approx\alpha## and ##z_{1}\approx z_{0}+x_{1}## for small ##\alpha##.

NFuller said:
Are you asking at what plate separation the capacitance of a normal parallel plate capacitor equals that of a capacitor with both plates at some common angle?

If so, then the two capacitors will approach the same value as the plate separation approaches zero.
Yes you are so close to my question but only the plate separation angle is important ? Are not the distance between plates and height of plates (or capacitor) important ? Should they are same also?

@NFuller could you have a look at my last question for your last reply?

mertcan said:
Are not the distance between plates and height of plates (or capacitor) important ? Should they are same also?
Yes, as the plate separation increases, the capacitors will decrease their capacitance.

1. What is an inclined parallel plate capacitor?

An inclined parallel plate capacitor is a type of electrical capacitor that consists of two parallel plates, with one plate being at an angle to the other. This creates a non-uniform electric field between the plates, allowing for a higher capacitance than a traditional parallel plate capacitor.

2. How does an inclined parallel plate capacitor work?

An inclined parallel plate capacitor works by using the principle of capacitance, which is the ability of a device to store electric charge. The inclined angle of the plates creates a larger surface area for the electric field, resulting in a higher capacitance. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. The capacitor can then store this charge until it is discharged.

3. What are the applications of an inclined parallel plate capacitor?

Inclined parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for power supply filtering, as well as in radio frequency (RF) filters and oscillators. They are also used in sensors, such as accelerometers and pressure sensors, and in high voltage and high frequency applications.

4. How is the capacitance of an inclined parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of an inclined parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The inclined angle of the plates can also affect the capacitance, with a larger angle resulting in a higher capacitance.

5. What are the advantages of an inclined parallel plate capacitor compared to a traditional parallel plate capacitor?

The main advantage of an inclined parallel plate capacitor is its higher capacitance due to the increased surface area created by the inclined angle. This allows for a smaller physical size for a given capacitance value. Inclined parallel plate capacitors also have a lower self-inductance, making them more suitable for high frequency applications. However, they may also have higher manufacturing costs and may be more difficult to construct and assemble compared to traditional parallel plate capacitors.