1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incoherent radiation---Cross term

1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see the attached,this was extracted from my notes.(Left side is the 1st page).I was trying to prove the sentence underlined (on the right page). Given ε(r,t) , how can I prove that the cross-terms average to 0? Actually I don't really understand why there are cross-terms. Would be much appreciated if someone can elaborate the paragraph on right page in detail !
    Q.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To calculate the intensity and energy density, using the formula on left page, I suppose we need to find ε(r,t) ^2 by taking its dot product. However,this would give me a double integral which I don't know how to proceed...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

If you sum up and have a bunch of different frequencies (or take an F.T. and get a sum of ## E(\omega)exp^{i \omega t} ## over all frequencies), when you square the expression, the terms involving two frequencies (the cross terms) each time average to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted