Increase temperature of liquid in a box without heat convection or conduction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
fysik
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
hello
I have a liquid or gas inside a metallic box (eg. stainless steel 5mm thick)
how can I increase its temperature without heat convection or conduction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to increase temperature then you must increase the energy. You can do that by heat or by work. If you can do neither then it cannot be increased.
 
There are lots of ways to do it but I don't want to waste your time with suggestions that you can't use because of some detail you haven't mentioned.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dale
DaleSpam said:
If you want to increase temperature then you must increase the energy. You can do that by heat or by work. If you can do neither then it cannot be increased.

Well, he only disallows convection and conduction, not heat transfer in general. You can still use radiation...
 
Gases and liquids are not completely transparent, so maybe some kind of radiation will work. To eliminate natural convection, take your box out of a gravitational field.

Chet
 
CWatters said:
There are lots of ways to do it but I don't want to waste your time with suggestions that you can't use because of some detail you haven't mentioned.

I don't have any other details, I am looking for ALL possible ways to achieve it
 
fysik said:
hello
I have a liquid or gas inside a metallic box (eg. stainless steel 5mm thick)
how can I increase its temperature without heat convection or conduction?

fysik said:
I don't have any other details, I am looking for ALL possible ways to achieve it

Your question is pretty vague. Can you tell us what the application is? We could be of more help if we knew the context of the question and the application.
 
OK, then the physical principles are that you cannot increase temperature without increasing energy. That can either be done through heat or work. So all possible ways of increasing heat or doing work will achieve it.
 
heat or work...
well work can be anything!
and also any radiation?
ultrasound?
 
they may transfer energy
but will they surpass the metallic box?
 
How should we know? You provide no details.

You have been taught the physics. Everything else is uninformed speculation on our part. Thread closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman