Increase temperature of liquid in a box without heat convection or conduction

In summary, you cannot increase the temperature of a liquid or gas inside a metallic box without increasing the energy. Radiation may be able to transfer energy, but it is not certain.
fysik
hello
I have a liquid or gas inside a metallic box (eg. stainless steel 5mm thick)
how can I increase its temperature without heat convection or conduction?

Science news on Phys.org
Squash the box in a 10 ton press?

obviously I don't want to destroy the box

If you want to increase temperature then you must increase the energy. You can do that by heat or by work. If you can do neither then it cannot be increased.

There are lots of ways to do it but I don't want to waste your time with suggestions that you can't use because of some detail you haven't mentioned.

Likes Dale
DaleSpam said:
If you want to increase temperature then you must increase the energy. You can do that by heat or by work. If you can do neither then it cannot be increased.

Well, he only disallows convection and conduction, not heat transfer in general. You can still use radiation...

Gases and liquids are not completely transparent, so maybe some kind of radiation will work. To eliminate natural convection, take your box out of a gravitational field.

Chet

CWatters said:
There are lots of ways to do it but I don't want to waste your time with suggestions that you can't use because of some detail you haven't mentioned.

I don't have any other details, I am looking for ALL possible ways to achieve it

fysik said:
hello
I have a liquid or gas inside a metallic box (eg. stainless steel 5mm thick)
how can I increase its temperature without heat convection or conduction?

fysik said:
I don't have any other details, I am looking for ALL possible ways to achieve it

Your question is pretty vague. Can you tell us what the application is? We could be of more help if we knew the context of the question and the application.

there is no application, it's just an experiment

OK, then the physical principles are that you cannot increase temperature without increasing energy. That can either be done through heat or work. So all possible ways of increasing heat or doing work will achieve it.

heat or work...
well work can be anything!
and also any radiation?
ultrasound?

Will the radiation transfer energy? Will ultrasound transfer energy? If so, then see my previous post.

they may transfer energy
but will they surpass the metallic box?

How should we know? You provide no details.

You have been taught the physics. Everything else is uninformed speculation on our part. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

1. How can you increase the temperature of liquid in a box without heat convection or conduction?

One way to increase the temperature of liquid in a box without heat convection or conduction is to use radiation. This can be achieved by placing the box in direct sunlight or using a heat lamp.

2. Is it possible to increase the temperature of liquid in a box without any external sources of heat?

No, it is not possible to increase the temperature of liquid in a box without any external sources of heat. Heat is required to raise the temperature of a liquid, and without convection or conduction, radiation is the only remaining option.

3. How does radiation increase the temperature of liquid in a box?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves. When these waves come into contact with the liquid molecules, they cause them to vibrate faster, resulting in an increase in temperature.

4. Can the temperature of liquid in a box be increased without changing the surrounding environment?

Yes, the temperature of liquid in a box can be increased without changing the surrounding environment. As long as there is a source of radiation, the temperature of the liquid can increase without affecting the surrounding area.

5. Are there any limitations to using radiation to increase the temperature of liquid in a box?

One limitation of using radiation to increase the temperature of liquid in a box is that it may not be as efficient as convection or conduction. Additionally, the type of radiation used and the distance between the source and the box can also affect the rate of temperature increase.