Index page not leading directly to the boards

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the recently added Library section on the forum and the suggestion of having an index page for easy access to both the library and the boards. Some members believe the boards should be the first page encountered, while others believe an extra index page would cause confusion. The mentors seem to agree with the latter opinion.
Werg22
The recently added Library section is great. I can see it's highlighted in green to make it more visible than the other items on the menu. Maybe it would be a great service to anyone coming across the forum for the first time to have an index page with the choice to access either the library or the boards, and whatever future sections are added?

Physics news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
The recently added Library section is great. I can see it's highlighted in green to make it more visible than the other items on the menu. Maybe it would be a great service to anyone coming across the forum for the first time to have an index page with the choice to access either the library or the boards, and whatever future sections are added?

Sorry but I disagree with this. The library is cool, but the boards are where the action is. I want the boards on the first page encountered, not one (or more) clicks away from the first page encountered.

I agree with George. An extra index page will just cause added confusion for new members, let alone making the forums hidden under a cover page.

I concur with the mentors.

1. Why is the index page not leading directly to the boards?

The index page is designed to be a landing page for a website, providing information and navigation to different sections of the site. It is not meant to lead directly to the boards, which are typically a subsection of the website.

2. How can I access the boards if the index page doesn't lead to them?

In most cases, there should be a link or button on the index page that will take you to the boards. This could be labeled as "Boards", "Community", or something similar. You can also try looking for a navigation menu or search bar to locate the boards.

3. Is it a problem if the index page doesn't lead directly to the boards?

No, it is not a problem. As mentioned before, the index page is meant to provide information and navigation to different sections of the website. It is common for the boards to be a separate section that can be accessed through the index page.

4. Can I change the index page to lead directly to the boards?

It is possible to change the design of the index page to make it lead directly to the boards, but this would require coding and potentially redesigning the entire website. It is recommended to leave the index page as is and use the provided navigation to access the boards.

5. Is there a reason why the website is designed this way, with the index page not leading directly to the boards?

There could be various reasons for this design choice, such as promoting other sections of the website, providing important information on the landing page, or creating a hierarchy within the website. It ultimately depends on the goals and preferences of the website designer.