Indian science student in a fix

In summary, a twelfth standard student from India wants to get into a science college like IISc Bangalore or IISER Pune, but is worried about preparing for the IIT JEE. He recommends preparing well for the IIT JEE, as the only way to get into IISC and IISER. If you are an intelligent Indian student and among the top students at your coaching, then KVPY is a good choice. However, if you are really interested in maths or physics research, nothing is better than CMIs cmi in India. Lastly, if you are not interested in CMI, then go for iit preparation.
cng99
Hi.

I'm a twelfth standard student from India. (Education system is very different here from other place, be well acquainted before posting).

I'm preparing for IIT JEE. But getting into IIT is not my real goal (it's a backup plan I guess). I want to get into a science college like IISc Bangalore or IISER Pune or something.

Now here's the thing. The best way I know to get there is either through JEE or this awesome exam called KVPY. I believe KVPY is an easier option, but the thing is that they ask Biology too and I don't know if I should give time into studying Biology as it's too far away from my school or JEE curriculum.

I'm quite serious about taking up science.

Any advices?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advice you to prepare well for IIT JEE. as it is the only way through which you can enter iisc and iiser. But if you are an an intelligent Indian student AND are among the top students at your coaching then KVPY is a good choice and you can handle Biology (course is limited and you just have to learn it and understand a few parts) but if you are really interested in maths or physics research then, nothing is better than cmi (google it) in india. Believe it or not, it is the best institute to study ,previously mentioned subjects in india. .Also the research exposure you get here is more than you can expect in iits and other institutes.
One thing, I would like to mention is that cmi has its own entrance exam which is not like iit , and since it is a maths institute it takes you in only on the basis of INMO OR BY ITS OWN ENTRANCE EXAM CONDUCTED IN MAY ( I AM PREPARING FOR THIS).
PS. - If you want to prepare then I may provide you some study material.
So, if you really want to go to cmi then all you have to do is either prepare for RMO conducted in December or prepare for the entrance exam in may.
If you are not interested (which might not be the case) then prepare rigorously for IIT .
Remember, IISC takes you in through IIT JEE (cutoff marks are fixed), AIEEE (cut off marks are fixed) and KVPY and iisers through IIT, KVPY and Boards( cut off is fixed in addition with entrance exam) .
In any case, if you are REALLY not interested in CMI then go for iit preparation. As it will help you in JEE, AIEEE, IISERs ENTRANCE TEST(in 3rd case), NISER (google it)
One thing I would like to mention is that if you decide to prepare for cmi, don't leave IIT preparation .A few useful links I am giving below:
Cmi ENTRANCE PAPER SYLLABUS AND STUFF:http://www.cmi.ac.in//admissions/syllabus.php
NISER ENTRANCE PAPER AND STUFF:http://nestexam.in/

P.S.: If you are interested in chemistry or biology research then Cmi does not have any course in it and to aim for other institutes.

I'm more into an integrated science course, so IISc suits me more than CMI (To be precise, I want B.Sc, not a B.Math). But I would appear for the INMO exam though. Thanks a lot for the information. Do give me the study material!

By the way, if you're really into Maths, ISI Bangalore is also a good place, I've heard. What do you say?

I aim for cmi (mainly) though it is a three year course, but after doing bsc from here One can go on to do phd( its curriculum is designed in this way) directly . I do not have much information about isi so really, cannot say anything about that.
And ,as you wish to appear for inmo you first have to prepare yourself for RMO and cmi entrance test is of this level.
To prepare for olympiads you should try the following:
In geometry( not covered in JEE syllabus), go for Geometry revisited by coxeter after going thoroughly with Kiselev's geometry.
In Number theory( not covered in JEE syllabus) ,go for Introduction to theory of numbers by I.Niven, H.S. Zuckerman ,
In Combinatorics, go for Introducing combinatorics by brualdi. ...and much more.
It would be better for you to have a look at this site: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/
and if you want to ask any college related query then:http://gonitsora.com/mathematics-as-a-career-path/
If you want books then go to http://www.imomath.com/index.php?options=347&lmm=0
and http://www.imomath.com/index.php?options=257&lmm=0.
P.S. CHOOSE WISELY 2-3 BOOKS AT MAXIMUM FOR EACH TOPIC , ACCORDING TO THE AVAILABLE TIME .
HAPPY PREPARATIONS.

i am also plan to write cmi. is there is any indian edition of book geometry revisited. the original edition cost is out of my reach. please suggest others i have only challenge and thrill of pre college mathematics,problem solving strategies and arihant inmo book.

why don't you download geometry revisited and get it printed out and binded? If your basics are not much strong then start with kiselev's geometry followed by solving step by step problems from praslov problems in geometry and then you would be easily be able to solve challenges and thrill but for the advanced part ( i.e., ceva theorem etc.) go for roger A johnson's advanced euclidean geometry or geometry revisited as both of these books cover mainly these advanced topics and thus are not suitable for any beginner. ( i feel so ).
Hey, can you tell me what sort of book is , arihant's inmo book?

Atihant's INMO Book is just a optional book if anyone has excursion in mathematics then no need of this book [this book goes the same way lot of pre-olympiad solved questions and rough theory]

simpy said:
I would advice you to prepare well for IIT JEE. as it is the only way through which you can enter iisc and iiser. But if you are an an intelligent Indian student AND are among the top students at your coaching then KVPY is a good choice and you can handle Biology (course is limited and you just have to learn it and understand a few parts) but if you are really interested in maths or physics research then, nothing is better than cmi (google it) in india. Believe it or not, it is the best institute to study ,previously mentioned subjects in india. .Also the research exposure you get here is more than you can expect in iits and other institutes.
One thing, I would like to mention is that cmi has its own entrance exam which is not like iit , and since it is a maths institute it takes you in only on the basis of INMO OR BY ITS OWN ENTRANCE EXAM CONDUCTED IN MAY ( I AM PREPARING FOR THIS).
PS. - If you want to prepare then I may provide you some study material.
So, if you really want to go to cmi then all you have to do is either prepare for RMO conducted in December or prepare for the entrance exam in may.
If you are not interested (which might not be the case) then prepare rigorously for IIT .
Remember, IISC takes you in through IIT JEE (cutoff marks are fixed), AIEEE (cut off marks are fixed) and KVPY and iisers through IIT, KVPY and Boards( cut off is fixed in addition with entrance exam) .
In any case, if you are REALLY not interested in CMI then go for iit preparation. As it will help you in JEE, AIEEE, IISERs ENTRANCE TEST(in 3rd case), NISER (google it)
One thing I would like to mention is that if you decide to prepare for cmi, don't leave IIT preparation .A few useful links I am giving below:
Cmi ENTRANCE PAPER SYLLABUS AND STUFF:http://www.cmi.ac.in//admissions/syllabus.php
NISER ENTRANCE PAPER AND STUFF:http://nestexam.in/

P.S.: If you are interested in chemistry or biology research then Cmi does not have any course in it and to aim for other institutes.

hi ,
i am a 1 year engineering student preparing for cmi exam because i really like math and physics.can you help me with study material?i have challenge and thrill and i am able to follow it.any other guidance would be helpful.\
thanks

1. What are common problems faced by Indian science students?

Some common problems faced by Indian science students include difficulty in finding quality education, lack of resources and funding, intense competition, and limited job opportunities.

2. How can Indian science students overcome financial constraints?

Indian science students can overcome financial constraints by applying for scholarships, grants, and fellowships, seeking part-time jobs or internships, and utilizing free online resources for their studies.

3. What are some ways to cope with the pressure of intense competition?

To cope with the pressure of intense competition, Indian science students can focus on their own progress and improvement, seek guidance and support from mentors or teachers, and participate in extracurricular activities to enhance their skills and stand out from the competition.

4. How can Indian science students enhance their job prospects?

Indian science students can enhance their job prospects by gaining practical experience through internships, developing a strong network of contacts, continuously updating their knowledge and skills, and being open to opportunities in different industries or countries.

5. What resources are available for Indian science students to stay updated on advancements in their field?

Indian science students can stay updated on advancements in their field by following reputable scientific journals and publications, attending conferences and workshops, networking with professionals in their field, and utilizing online resources such as webinars and podcasts.