1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indiana Jones rope swing physics

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I am preparing for a test and have the following question.
    there is the image attached too.

Indiana Jones is swinging from a rope. The distance between the pivot point and his center of mass is 31.0 m. He begins swinging from rest at an angle θ = 19.0o as shown in the figure. Assuming that Indiana and the rope can be treated as a simple pendulum, what is the value of θ after 1.27 s (in degrees)?

so i this is a harmonic motion question. as far as i understand i can use the
    formula of location (x=...) but use angles to represent the location and thus get the answer. but somehow i get the wrong answer all the time.
    could some one show me how it is done so i can see where i am wrong?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zhenyazh! :wink:
    Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    ok.
    so indiana starts from the farthest point and i want to work in degrees and not meters t to find position.
    so i say x=Acos(wt+fi)
    where A=19 deg, t=.127 and w=sqrt(g/l) where l is 31 if i understand the question correctly.
    the answer i get is wrong.

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zhenyazh! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a phi: φ and a square-root: √ :wink:)
    Isn't t = 1.27 ? And what did you use for φ ?

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    about the time yes you are right, it is a type.
    about fi, i used zero since i use cos for my calculation and start from the right amplitude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook