Indicator Functions: X, Y & Z

• Thread starter quema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing the equation E(X-Y)max\left\{{X,Y}\right\}=E(X-Y)X1_{\left\{{X\geq{}Y}\right\}}+E(X-Y)Y1_{\left\{{X<{}Y}\right\}} and whether it is necessary to assume independence between the two random variables X and Y. The suggestion is made to change the inequality from <= to < in order to avoid double-counting and this equation holds true regardless of dependence or type of variables.
quema
Hi,

If [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] are two random variables. Let [tex]Z=max\left\{{X,Y}\right\}[/tex]. Can I write:

[tex]E(X-Y)max\left\{{X,Y}\right\}=E(X-Y)X1_{\left\{{X\geq{}Y}\right\}}+E(X-Y)Y1_{\left\{{X\leq{}Y}\right\}}[/tex]

Do I need to assume that both random variables are independent?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quema! :smile:

I think you can always write that! I'm not sure what you're trying to do, though...

quema said:
Can I write:
[tex]E(X-Y)max\left\{{X,Y}\right\}=E(X-Y)X1_{\left\{{X\geq{}Y}\right\}}+E(X-Y)Y1_{\left\{{X\leq{}Y}\right\}}[/tex]

Change the <= to < so you're not double-counting the case where X=Y, and it'll hold true regardless of dependence or whether they are discrete or continuous.

1. What are indicator functions?

Indicator functions are mathematical functions that take on the value of 1 if a certain condition is met and 0 otherwise. They are often used in statistics and probability to represent events or conditions.

2. How are indicator functions represented mathematically?

Indicator functions are typically represented using the notation IA(x), where A is the event or condition being evaluated and x is the variable. This notation means that the function takes on the value of 1 if x satisfies A and 0 otherwise.

3. What are the common applications of indicator functions?

Indicator functions are used in a variety of fields, including statistics, probability, economics, and computer science. They are often used to represent binary events or conditions, and can be used to simplify complex calculations and models.

4. Can indicator functions take on values other than 0 or 1?

No, indicator functions are defined to only take on the values of 0 or 1. This is because they are meant to represent binary events or conditions, where 1 indicates that the event or condition is true and 0 indicates that it is false.

5. How do indicator functions compare to other mathematical functions?

Indicator functions are different from other functions in that they do not have a specific mathematical formula or equation. Instead, they are defined based on a specific condition or event and take on values based on that condition. They are also often used in conjunction with other functions to represent complex relationships or conditions.