1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced charge density by non-uniform dipole density in dielectric?

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In chapter 10 section 3 volume 2 of the Feynman lectures on physics, there is a passage that I can't force myself to agree with. He says, talking about the polarization vector of dielectrics,

Can someone explain this perhaps differently?

I really don't see how a non-uniform polarisation vector across a dielectric have to do with charge density. If P is larger at one place, it is either because 1) E is greater there, or 2) the density of atoms N is greater there. But in either case, the total charge in a volume element remains that of the sum of the atoms, which is null for regular dielectric atoms regardeless of the number of them N in that volume or of the magnitude of the "dipole distance" [itex]\vec{d}[/itex] (as in [itex]\vec{p}=q\vec{d})[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Feynman can entertain, but avoids the nitty gritty.
    Try this picture: One long molecule having +q at one end and -q at the other, so its dipole moment is qL. Then next to it, a molecule with +- 2 q at the ends. Sort of like this: -q-----+q -2q-----+2q.
    This represents a P that is increasing to the right. If you look in the middle, there is a net charge of -q. This corresponds to
    \rho_bound=-div P (in Gaussian units).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?