1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced current and mag. f

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    Please see question at . . . . http://www.flickr.com/photos/37144556@N07/3476115300/sizes/o/ [Broken]

(i) Im not sure which hand rule to use??
    I think its the right hand rule, so does that mean the answer to question (i) is clockwise.

(ii) is the answer " in a circluar direction perpendicular to the wire?? as seen here http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/36000/36057/mag_field_36057_lg.gif

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You would use a right hand rule, but the answer is not clockwise. How is the field through the loop changing? The induced current acts to oppose that change.

No. Realize that these two questions are related. The induced current creates the induced magnetic field.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    If you bring the magnet away from the coil, you are decreasing the flux through the coil. Therefore, the current should be induced in the clockwise direction.

So how is it going anticlockwise, what is the induced current opposing?

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Right! So current must be induced in a direction that will increase the flux through the loop. Using the right-hand rule, what direction will that induced current flow?
    How did you conclude this?

6. Apr 26, 2009 #5
    I had my hand the wrong way, so my thumb should point up in the direction to compensate for the decrease in mag field therefore inducing a current to flow the direction of my fingers ie anticlockwise!

Which also means the induced mag field should point out of the page upwards.

So is this passage from wikipedia incorrect...."Take the north pole of a permanent magnet and a coil in front of it and put a microscopic camera on top of the magnet. As you bring the magnet closer to the coil, you are increasing the flux through the coil. Then by Lenz's law, the current will be in counterclockwise direction as viewed by the camera.
    If you bring the magnet away from the coil, you are decreasing the flux through the coil. Therefore, the current should be induced in the clockwise direction as viewed from the camera."

7. Apr 26, 2009 #6

Doc Al

D'oh!
    Good!

Right!

8. Apr 26, 2009 #7
    Thanks for your help, appreciated.

9. Apr 26, 2009 #8

Doc Al

No, that passage is OK. Note that the camera is on the magnet, so you're looking at the coil from underneath.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook