1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Induced current by moving bar magnet external to solenoid.

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    Hi, I was wondering whether a bar magnet would induce a current if it was moving external to the solenoid, rather than within the coil. I see no reason why it wouldn't occur, but I've never seen it displayed or mentioned so I'm not sure. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The external magnetic field from a long bar magnet loops around from the + pole end to the - pole end, and falls off in strength as one moves away from the ends. Thereby if you move a long bar magnet towards a solenoid, there will be an EMF ## \varepsilon=-\frac{d \Phi}{dt} ##. With known magnetic field strength and pattern, it would be possible to accurately compute the EMF that occurs for the motion of the magnet towards the solenoid at a given speed. An experiment like this could make for a good science project and/or undergraduate laboratory exercise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted