Voltages in an induced current

In summary: The underlying equation is one of the maxwell equations: a changing magnetic field causes an electric field. Then the motion of charge carriers follows from the Lorentz force, equally fundamental.A graph of voltage over the cross section of the coil would look something like this:The voltage is the difference in electric potential energy between two points.
Mzzed
I've been messing around with ampere's and faraday's laws as we have recently been applying them in undergrad level physics. I'm confused as to how voltage fits in with these laws when used for a solenoid inducing a current in a material placed inside the solenoid. I know that the induced current will flow in a circular motion and the voltage is determined by change in magnetic flux over time. But at a specific radius that the current is flowing around within the solenoid, there should be a constant amount of changing flux along the perimeter of the same radius. So there is obviously something I am missing, but to me this would mean there is constant voltage along the circular path that the current flows which makes no sense to me since the current would usually flow from high to low voltage.

How can voltage be easily visualized in this situation? Or have I assumed anything incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The voltage is the difference in electric potential energy between two points.
Current naturally flows between points where there is a non-zero potential difference.
But that is not the only way to move charges about.

Just like masses naturally roll down between places where there is a gravitational potential difference ... but that is not the only way to move masses around.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
The voltage is the difference in electric potential energy between two points.
Current naturally flows between points where there is a non-zero potential difference.
But that is not the only way to move charges about.

Just like masses naturally roll down between places where there is a gravitational potential difference ... but that is not the only way to move masses around.
Hmmmmm ok so does that then mean lens's/faraday's law (V = - change in flux / change in time) does not apply to this situation? if anything I now have more questions than I started with haha

It certainly does apply !
Mzzed said:
I now have more questions than I started with
Good condition for learning opportunities :smile:. Work out such questions a bit and post when stuck !

The underlying equation is one of the maxwell equations: a changing magnetic field causes an electric field. Then the motion of charge carriers follows from the Lorentz force, equally fundamental.

Likes Mzzed
BvU said:
It certainly does apply !
Good condition for learning opportunities :smile:. Work out such questions a bit and post when stuck !

The underlying equation is one of the maxwell equations: a changing magnetic field causes an electric field. Then the motion of charge carriers follows from the Lorentz force, equally fundamental.
AHH ok I think the thing I was missing is the lorentz force to enable a better visualisation of voltage in the coil, I think from this i can figure out roughly what a graph of voltage over the cross section of the coil would look like I hope. Thankyou!

1. What is an induced current?

An induced current is an electric current that is created when there is a change in the magnetic field through a conductor. This change in magnetic field can be caused by a moving magnet, a changing electric current, or a change in the orientation of the conductor.

2. How is voltage related to induced current?

Voltage is the force that drives the flow of electric current. In the case of induced current, the changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the conductor, which in turn causes the flow of electric current.

3. What factors affect the voltage in an induced current?

The voltage in an induced current is affected by the rate of change of magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the speed of the conductor through the magnetic field.

4. How is the direction of the induced current determined?

The direction of the induced current is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced current?

Induced current is used in a variety of technologies, such as generators, electric motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in devices like metal detectors and MRI machines.