Induced EMF and long steel beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of induced EMF in a steel beam that is dropped from a height of 8.62m by a construction crane. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field in the region is 16.7μT. After discussing the use of different formulas and incorrect calculations, it is determined that the correct equation for induced EMF is E=vBL, where v is the instantaneous velocity of the beam. The correct velocity is found using kinematics, and the final answer is obtained by multiplying the velocity, magnetic field, and length of the beam. It is important to take the square root of the velocity in order to get the correct answer.
Boozehound
A 11.8m long steel beam is accidentally dropped by a construction crane from a height of 8.62m. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field over the region is 16.7μT. What is the induced emf in the beam just before impact with the Earth, assuming its long dimension remains in a horizontal plane, oriented perpendicularly to the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field?

E=[(xf*L-xi*L)/(tf-ti)]B

and that reads Induced EMF equals x final times length minus x initial times length divided by time final minus time initial quantity multiplied by b.

so i plugged in...

6.62(11.8)-0(11.8)/1.066

i get 95.4183 then i take that and multiply it by B which is 1.67E-5 and i get...

.001593V

and its wrong. I am not sure if I am using the right formula. i looked at the other formulas i was given but they don't seem to use the values I am given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boozehound said:
E=[(xf*L-xi*L)/(tf-ti)]B

and that reads Induced EMF equals x final times length minus x initial times length divided by time final minus time initial quantity multiplied by b.
That equation gives you an average EMF during the fall; what you want is the EMF at the moment before impact.

Hint: Write an equation for induced EMF in terms of instantaneous velocity, not average velocity.

thats what i thought i did. to find time i took the height that was given of 8.62m and i took 9.80m/s^2 and divided it by 8.62m and got 1.137s^2 and i took the square root of that to find just seconds and i got 1.06s. then i took 8.62m and divided it by 1.066s to get a velocity of 8.132m/s. but then from there i get lost.

Your calculation of time and velocity is incorrect. But even if it were correct, plugging into that EMF equation would give the wrong answer because it uses average velocity. (That equation is meant for things moving at a constant speed--not the case here.)

Two things to do:
(1) Come up with the correct equation for motional EMF; hint: It will express EMF in terms of speed (and not distance or time);
(2) Find the correct speed of the beam using kinematics.

ok i did the kinematics and i found the velocity to be 168.952m/s. and i found a formula E=vBL and if i plug in thoes values that i found before E=168.952(1.67E-5)11.8 and E equals .0332. but again i think that's the wrong formula obviously.

Why do you think it's the wrong one?

cause i put in the answer and its the wrong answer..

but then again it could be the right formula but i have the wrong numbers

i got it..i just didnt take the square root of the velocity. simple overlook.

OK good, I was just about to point that out. lol

1. What is Induced EMF?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage generated in a conductor or circuit when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can occur when the conductor moves through a magnetic field, or when the magnetic field itself changes.

2. How is Induced EMF related to a long steel beam?

A long steel beam can act as a conductor and experience induced EMF when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can happen, for example, when the beam is near a power line or transformer that is carrying alternating current.

3. What factors affect the amount of Induced EMF in a long steel beam?

The amount of induced EMF in a long steel beam depends on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed and orientation of the beam, and the length and material of the beam itself. The greater the change in the magnetic field and the faster the beam moves, the higher the induced EMF will be.

4. Can induced EMF in a long steel beam be harmful?

Induced EMF in a long steel beam is typically not harmful to humans. However, it can cause interference in electronic devices and equipment, and may also cause corrosion in the beam itself if the induced currents are strong enough.

5. How is induced EMF in a long steel beam used in scientific research?

Induced EMF in a long steel beam is used in scientific research to measure changes in magnetic fields and to study the effects of electromagnetic induction. It can also be used in experiments to generate electricity and to power devices using electromagnetic energy.