Inductance of a double circuit line -- struggling with return the path

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jaus tail
Messages
613
Reaction score
48
So for inductance of transmission line book says formula
H = 2 * 10 -7 Loge { [Ds]/[Dm] }
I'm struggling to understand self and mutual geometric mean distance.
Here is one solved example
upload_2017-12-26_11-3-26.png

and for this they've drawn
upload_2017-12-26_11-3-56.png

And they say that let a a' form one connection and let b b' form other connection.
I'm struggling to understand how are they in parallel.
Current will go from a and return from a' or return from b?
How can b and b' be return path? As per question two upper and two lower conductors are in parallel so it means a and b are in parallel. So current in a and current in b have to be same.

And in three phase there are conductors r - r', y - y', b - b' So does this mean r and r' are in parallel or is it like current goes from r and returns from r' at one instant.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-26_11-3-26.png
    upload_2017-12-26_11-3-26.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 944
  • upload_2017-12-26_11-3-56.png
    upload_2017-12-26_11-3-56.png
    25 KB · Views: 900
Engineering news on Phys.org
This 3-phase double circuit.
upload_2017-12-26_11-9-32.png

I don't understand what does a -a' mean. Are they in parallel or do they carry currents in opposite direction?
And here is double circuit another example.
upload_2017-12-26_11-12-1.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-26_11-9-32.png
    upload_2017-12-26_11-9-32.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 468
  • upload_2017-12-26_11-11-38.png
    upload_2017-12-26_11-11-38.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 550
  • 200511-95e475213e0075d391536a95a4b5a0cb.png
    200511-95e475213e0075d391536a95a4b5a0cb.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 474
  • upload_2017-12-26_11-12-1.png
    upload_2017-12-26_11-12-1.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 459
From the text description I get.

In the first image. You are looking at the ends of four wires. They extend into the page. It seems the current requirement is greater than is convenient for a single conductor to carry. To handle the extra current, two conductors are used, wired electrically in parallel. A set of two conductors would be A&B (call that pair the 'supply' side). For the 'return' side the set of two conductors is A'&B'.

That is certainly not the way I would prefer to label them, it makes it too confusing... perhaps that is the 'standard' way of labeling them, but it seems strange.

p.s. If you are graded as 'wrong', you may have to point out the ambiguous description to your instructor. Print this out if needed to show him.
 
Thanks. So according to you the top conductors carry current I and bottom conductors carry -I at a given instant of time?