Proving the Induction Step: \sum_{j=1}^{k+2} j \cdot 2^j = (k+2)\cdot 2^{k+4}+2

In summary, the problem is to find a proof that for all non-negative integers n, we have ##\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2##. The first step is to prove that for all n, P(n) is the statement ##\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2##. To do this, we use induction. The induction step is to prove that for all n>0, we have \begin{align}&P(n)\\&
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

prove by induction [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2; n \ge 0[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution

P(0)

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{0+1} j \cdot 2^j = 0 \cdot 2^{0+2}+2[/tex]

[tex] 2+2 [/tex]

here is where I need some help

is P(k)

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{k+1} j \cdot 2^j = (k+1) \cdot 2^{k+3}+2[/tex] ??

then

P(k+1) [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{k+2} j \cdot 2^j = (k+2)\cdot 2^{k+4}+2[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

prove by induction [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2; n \ge 0[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

P(0)

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{0+1} j \cdot 2^j = 0 \cdot 2^{0+2}+2[/tex]

[tex] 2+2 [/tex]

here is where I need some help

is P(k)

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{k+1} j \cdot 2^j = (k+1) \cdot 2^{k+3}+2[/tex] ??

No. Copy your original problem (the first equation above) exactly with ##n = k##.

LCKurtz said:
No. Copy your original problem (the first equation above) exactly with ##n = k##.

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{k} j \cdot 2^j = (k) \cdot 2^{k+2}+2[/tex] why this when the sum goes to n+1??

What part of "copy it exactly" don't you understand?

I see what I did wrong in my reply. it was a simple mistake, hostility doesn't help. I'll figure it out. thanks

You want to prove that for all non-negative integers n, we have ##\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2##. For each non-negative integer n, let P(n) be the statement ##\sum_{j=1}^{n+1} j \cdot 2^j = n \cdot 2^{n+2}+2##. Let the scope of the ##\forall## symbol ("for all") be the set of non-negative integers. The result that you want to prove can now be stated as
$$\forall n~P(n)$$ To prove this is to prove all of the infinitely many statements P(0), P(1), P(2),... The idea behind induction proofs is that you can do that in a finite number of steps. All you have to do is to prove the following two statements:
\begin{align}
&P(0)\\
&\forall k~\big(P(k)\Rightarrow P(k+1)\big)
\end{align} When you get to the second step, you don't really have to think about what P(k) or P(k+1) is. You just use the definition. It's appropriate to think of P as a kind of "function" that takes integers to statements.

I would recommend that you always write down a definition of P(k) for all the relevant k when you start an induction proof. You know that your definition is OK if it turns the statement that you want to prove into ##\forall n~P(n)##. The theorem has to be a statement of this form, if induction is to be used.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
What part of "copy it exactly" don't you understand?

jonroberts74 said:
I see what I did wrong in my reply. it was a simple mistake, hostility doesn't help. I'll figure it out. thanks

It isn't hostility. It is my expressing frustration with with your carelessness in executing an extremely simple task.

It wasn't carelessness. I've been working on my schoolwork for 16 hours a days for the past month. It was a simple mistake. I appreciate the help.

So, after you wrote down P(k) and P(k+1), were you able to show P(k) implies P(k+1)?

Likes 1 person
so p(k) is

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{k+1} = k \cdot 2^{k+2} +2[/tex]

so p(k+1)

is

[tex] \sum_{j=1}^{k+2} = (k+1) \cdot 2^{k+3}+2 [/tex]

shifting the index

[tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{j=1}^{k+2}}j 2^j=\displaystyle{\sum_{j=1}^{k+1}}j 2^j+(k+2) \cdot 2^{k+2}[/tex]

correct?

now

[tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{j=1}^{k+1}}j 2^j+(k+2)2^{k+2}=(k \cdot 2^{k+2}+2) + (k+2)2^{k+2}[/tex]

[tex] = k \cdot 2^{k+2}+k \cdot 2^{k+2} + 2 \cdot 2^{k+2} + 2 [/tex]

[tex]=2\cdot k \cdot 2^{k+2} + 2 \cdot 2^{k+2} + 2 [/tex]

[tex] = (2k+2)2^{k+2}+2[/tex]

[tex] = (k+1)2^{k+3} + 2[/tex]

??

I don't think you need the ??'s at the end. I think you know it is correct.

1. What is the purpose of induction for sum = 2^(n+2)+2?

The purpose of induction for sum = 2^(n+2)+2 is to prove that for any value of n, the sum will always equal 2^(n+2)+2. This allows us to make generalizations about the behavior of this equation and apply it to different scenarios.

2. How does induction work in this context?

In this context, induction works by first proving the base case, which is when n=0. Then, assuming the equation holds for n=k, we use this to prove that it also holds for n=k+1. This creates a chain of reasoning that proves the equation holds for all values of n.

3. What is the formula for the sum 2^(n+2)+2?

The formula for the sum 2^(n+2)+2 is 2^(n+2)+2 = 4*2^n + 2. This can also be written as 2^4*2^n + 2, showing that the sum is a multiple of 2^4.

4. Can you provide an example to demonstrate induction for sum = 2^(n+2)+2?

Yes, for example, if we plug in n=3, we get 2^(3+2)+2 = 2^5+2 = 32+2 = 34. We can then use induction to show that for any value of n, the sum will be 2^(n+2)+2.

5. What are some real-life applications of induction for sum = 2^(n+2)+2?

Induction for sum = 2^(n+2)+2 can be used in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. For example, in computer science, it can be used to prove the correctness of algorithms or programs. In physics, it can be used to prove mathematical models or theories. In engineering, it can be used to analyze and design systems or structures.