Induction Method: Applying to Any Group or Subgroup?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a theorem discussing the solvability of a finite group G if it satisfies a certain condition regarding a normal subgroup H. The proof involves assuming G is a counterexample of minimal order and N is a proper normal subgroup of G. The question arises about the application of the induction method in the theorem, as H may not be a subgroup of N.
moont14263
My question is about the induction method. This was in a theorem that I read.
Let H be a normal subgroup of a finite group G. If G satisfies H-some statement then G is solvable.
In the poof I have this.
Let G be a counter example of minimal order. Let N be a proper normal subgroup of G. Since N satisfies the H-some statement then N is solvable by the induction in the order of G.

Here is my question. H may not be a subgroup of N so, how did he apply the induction method?

Physics news on Phys.org
moont14263,

You should clarify your question. The expression "If G satisfies H-some statement then G is solvable" doesn't convey a coherent pattern for a mathematical thought. Does the "-" mean "and"?

Here is an example of what I am talking about.
I made up this theorem.

Let H be a normal subgroup of a finite group G. If all Sylow p-subgroup P of G are conjugate in H then G is solvable.

Conjugate in H means the set {P^{h}:h [itex]\in[/itex] H} contain all Sylow p-subgroup of G where P is a Sylow p-subgroup of G.

Let G be a counter example of minimal order. Let N be a proper normal subgroup of G. I assume that all Sylow p-subgroup P of N are conjugate in H, "this is just an assumption ,it may not be true".then N is solvable by the induction in the order of G.

Here is my question. H may not be a subgroup of N so, how did he apply the induction method in his theorem which has the same situation ?.

FAQ: Induction Method: Applying to Any Group or Subgroup?

1. What is the Induction Method?

The Induction Method is a mathematical proof technique that is used to prove statements about an infinite set of numbers or objects by showing that they hold true for a specific starting case, and then proving that if they hold true for any one case, they will hold true for the next case as well.

2. How is the Induction Method applied to groups or subgroups?

The Induction Method can be applied to any group or subgroup by first identifying the base case, which is the smallest member of the group or subgroup. Then, the induction hypothesis is stated, which is the assumption that the statement holds true for any member of the group or subgroup. Finally, the proof is constructed by showing that if the statement holds true for any one member, it will also hold true for the next member.

3. What are the steps involved in using the Induction Method?

The steps involved in using the Induction Method are:

• Identify the base case
  • State the induction hypothesis
  • Construct the proof by showing that the statement holds true for any one member, and therefore holds true for the next member
  • Conclude by stating that the statement holds true for all members of the group or subgroup

4. What makes the Induction Method a useful proof technique?

The Induction Method is a useful proof technique because it allows for the proof of statements about an infinite set of numbers or objects without having to individually prove each case. It also provides a clear and organized structure for constructing a proof, making it easier to follow and understand.

5. In what other fields is the Induction Method commonly used?

The Induction Method is commonly used in mathematics, computer science, physics, and other scientific fields. It is also used in philosophy, particularly in the study of logic and epistemology, and in economics to prove statements about economic models.