Where to Find mH Inductors for Banana Plugs in Basic Electronics Labs?

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary, the author is looking for inductors in the range of mH to use with banana plugs for basic electronic physics labs. He knows he can build his own, but is interested in finding a pre-made option. He found two options, one using a M/F banana plug and the other using a binding post. The first option is cheaper, but the second option has a wider variety of options.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi all physics teachers

I am looking for inductors in the range mH for usage with banana plugs for basic electronics physics labs (like resonance in RLC-circuits etc).

I know I can build my own very simple, but if you know a place where I can buy those pre-made I would be very helpful :)

Science news on Phys.org
I've used the Taiyo Yuden LHL08 inductors in many circuits, and it looks like they are available via Digikey. Does that work for you?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/fixed-inductors/71?s=N4IgTCBcDaIDYAs4AYAcIC6BfIA

https://ds.yuden.co.jp/TYCOMPAS/ut/detail?pn=LHL08TB100K&u=M

1665072734203.png

I meant something like this
1665130687419.png

where you can just insert banana plug chords

Right now I have inductors which i place in these
1665130727812.png

But I am looking for a more "permenent" option :)

malawi_glenn said:
But I am looking for a more "permenent" option :)
One option would be to use a M/F banana plug and just use the built-in screw terminals to connect the leads of the inductor to the two parallel banana plugs. This is an example of what I'm talking about, although this particular one at Digikey is a bit pricey at $17. You can probably find less expensive ones...

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/pomona-electronics/1286/745043?utm_adgroup=Banana%20and%20Tip%20Connectors%20-%20Binding%20Posts&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Connectors%2C%20Interconnects_NEW&utm_term=&utm_content=Banana%20and%20Tip%20Connectors%20-%20Binding%20Posts&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnP-ZBhDiARIsAH3FSRe2eocvbjmuOcN3IxZL7Ba4yedxmTBbizEELea-X57gbi7WFUa9fVMaAoTLEALw_wcB

1665153847024.png

Likes malawi_glenn
yeah that is better

Likes berkeman
Pasco sells a variety of them.

Mister T said:
Pasco sells a variety of them.
You have link?

The 200-turn coil is only $55.

Pasco is not known for their products being inexpensive. If it's institutional money I learned to not bat an eye. It's all "funny money".

1. What is the purpose of using inductors for banana plugs?

Inductors for banana plugs are used to filter out unwanted signals and noise from the electrical circuit. They are commonly used in audio systems to improve sound quality.

2. How do inductors for banana plugs work?

Inductors work by storing electrical energy in a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through them, the magnetic field is created which opposes any changes in the current. This helps in filtering out unwanted signals and noise.

3. Can I use any inductor for banana plugs?

No, it is important to choose the right inductor for the intended use. The inductor's specifications, such as inductance value and current rating, should match the requirements of the circuit to ensure proper functioning.

4. How do I connect inductors to banana plugs?

Inductors can be connected to banana plugs by soldering the leads of the inductor to the plug. It is important to ensure a secure and proper connection to avoid any signal loss or distortion.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using inductors for banana plugs?

Yes, it is important to use inductors that are properly rated for the circuit to avoid any overheating or electrical hazards. It is also important to handle the inductors with care as they may have sharp edges or contain small parts that can be a choking hazard.