Inductor's output power measurement using spectrum analyzer

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of a spectrum analyzer and the use of an inductor made through lithography, evaporation, and lift-off processes. The probing was GSG type and the frequency was swept from 100MHz to 5GHz with an input power of 0dBm. It was observed that the output power increased with increasing frequency. The question was raised whether the passive element, in this case the inductor, behaves as an inductor or a capacitor. More details were requested about the inductor and it was suggested to sweep at lower frequencies to detect the first resonant peak. The use of a 50ohm analyzer input was also considered in relation to the expected behavior of the inductor.
JGOH
Hello!

I have a question about measurement of spectrum analyzer.
I made some inductor by lithography, evaporator, and lift-off process, and tried to measure using spectrum analyzer. (The probing was GSG type)
I swept the frequency from 100MHz to 5Ghz, and output power was monitored by spectrum analyzer. (Input was 0dBm)
Then, the output power increased by incresing the input frequency. (100Mhz -> -60dBm, 1GHz -> -40dBm, 5GHz -> -30dBm...)

Does this passive element play a role by inductor? (or is it capacitor?)

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
Would you give more details on the inductor? How big it is, how many turns? Inductors parasitic capacity at very high frequency can make it behave more like capacitor than inductor

I expect you are above the self-resonant frequency of the inductor/test system. Sweep lower and try to find the first resonant peak.
If there is none detectable, the the parasitic capacitance is predominating.

Also, you are testing with a 50ohm (probably) analyzer input. Compute how your expected inductance might behave with that load.

1. How do I connect the inductor to the spectrum analyzer for accurate power measurement?

The inductor should be connected directly to the input of the spectrum analyzer using a coaxial cable. It is important to use a high-quality cable with proper shielding to minimize noise and interference.

2. What is the best method for calibrating the spectrum analyzer before measuring the inductor's output power?

The best method for calibration is to use a calibration kit specifically designed for the spectrum analyzer. This kit will provide accurate and consistent calibration for the frequency range and power levels of the measurements.

3. How can I ensure that the inductor's output power measurement is not affected by external factors?

To minimize external factors, it is important to conduct the measurement in a controlled environment with minimal electromagnetic interference. Additionally, using a high-quality coaxial cable and proper grounding techniques can further reduce the impact of external factors on the measurement.

4. Can I use a spectrum analyzer with a limited frequency range for measuring the inductor's output power?

Yes, you can use a spectrum analyzer with a limited frequency range for this measurement. However, it is important to ensure that the frequency range of the spectrum analyzer covers the frequency range of the inductor's output signal.

5. Is it necessary to adjust the resolution bandwidth and video bandwidth settings on the spectrum analyzer for accurate inductor output power measurement?

Yes, it is necessary to adjust the resolution bandwidth and video bandwidth settings to achieve accurate measurements. The resolution bandwidth should be set to a narrow value to improve the frequency resolution, while the video bandwidth should be set to a wide value to improve the measurement accuracy.