Inelastic collision and ideal gas law

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elastic collisions in relation to the ideal gas law. It is stated that the law assumes all collisions between gas molecules are elastic and that the gas is homogeneous. The question is then posed about whether a collision between a hydrogen atom and a neutron would be considered elastic or if there are any possibilities of it being inelastic. The speaker confirms that in a gas of the same particles, collisions would be elastic, but mentions that there are corrections to the ideal gas law if this is not the case.
i_island0
I am not even sure if my question itself is correct.
According to ideal gas law, all the collisions for a gas molecules are elastic in nature.
Now, suppose a hydrogen atom collides with a neutron (assuming 1-D motion for simplicity), will i consider that collision to be elastic always, or are there any possibilities of collision being inelastic.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas law does indeed assume elastic collisions between the particles that make up the gas. It also assumes that the gas is effectively homogeneous; by which I mean that all the particles that make up the gas are indistinguishable from each other. So talking about a hydrogen atom and a neutron is already something iffy.

But in any event: let's say there are 2 of the SAME particle colliding in an ideal gas. Then yes, that collision is elastic.

If it's not, then the ideal gas approximation is a bad approximation. And there are corrections to it, such as the van der Waals gas, for example.

I can confirm that the ideal gas law states that all collisions between gas molecules are considered to be elastic in nature. However, in reality, there are certain cases where collisions can be inelastic. An inelastic collision occurs when there is a transfer of kinetic energy between the colliding particles, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system. This can happen in scenarios where there are strong intermolecular forces or when the particles involved are not perfectly elastic. Therefore, it is possible for a collision between a hydrogen atom and a neutron to be inelastic, depending on the conditions and factors involved. It is important to consider all variables and factors when analyzing collisions in order to accurately determine whether they are elastic or inelastic.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy of the objects after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. How are inelastic collisions related to the ideal gas law?

Inelastic collisions are related to the ideal gas law because they both involve the behavior of gases. The ideal gas law is often used to describe the behavior of gases in inelastic collisions, as it helps to predict the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature that occur during the collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The outcome of an inelastic collision is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the angle and direction of the collision, and the elasticity of the objects. These factors can determine how much kinetic energy is lost during the collision and how the objects will move after the collision.

5. Can an inelastic collision be reversed?

No, an inelastic collision cannot be reversed. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, and this energy cannot be converted back. Additionally, the objects involved in the collision may undergo permanent deformation or stick together, making it impossible to reverse the collision.