Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic collision and ideal gas law

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    I am not even sure if my question itself is correct.
    According to ideal gas law, all the collisions for a gas molecules are elastic in nature.
    Now, suppose a hydrogen atom collides with a neutron (assuming 1-D motion for simplicity), will i consider that collision to be elastic always, or are there any possibilities of collision being inelastic.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

The ideal gas law does indeed assume elastic collisions between the particles that make up the gas. It also assumes that the gas is effectively homogeneous; by which I mean that all the particles that make up the gas are indistinguishable from each other. So talking about a hydrogen atom and a neutron is already something iffy.

But in any event: let's say there are 2 of the SAME particle colliding in an ideal gas. Then yes, that collision is elastic.

If it's not, then the ideal gas approximation is a bad approximation. And there are corrections to it, such as the van der Waals gas, for example.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?