Inelastic Collision in Plasma

Therefore, it is important for inelastic equation to occur in a plasma in order for these processes to happen. Additionally, in the inelastic equation, the mass of the particle colliding with the atom (m1) must be smaller than the mass of the atom (m2) in order for ionization and excitation to occur. This is because the collision must result in a transfer of energy and momentum to the atom, causing it to become excited or release electrons.In summary, for ionization and excitation to occur in a plasma, there must be a loss of energy through an inelastic collision. This is represented by the inelastic equation which shows that the mass of the colliding particle must be smaller than the mass of the atom
VulpineNinja
1. Explain why it is important for inelastic equation to occur in a plasma in order for process such as ionization and excitation to happen.

2. 1/2(m1u1^2) = 1/2(m1)(v1^2 + u1^2 sin^2(theta)) + 1/2(m2v2^2) + (delta)U3. According to the inelastic equation above, in order for ionization and excitation to happen there should be an energy loss. And it is possible for atom to get excited or release electrons if another electron collides with the atom in inelastic equation. Which means that m1 must be smaller than m2

Sorry I don't have any software to write the equation clearly.
Anyways, I'm not sure how am I supposed to answer the question (should I explain the process based on the equation to prove my statement?), or that if my answer is accurate enough. Like, how do I relate with the loss of energy, (delta)U?
And furthermore, what makes inelastic collision (in plasma) more important than elastic?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess ionization and excitation require some energy in order to happen and that energy is the loss in the kinetic energy (delta)U.

What is an inelastic collision in plasma?

An inelastic collision in plasma is a type of collision between two particles or groups of particles in a plasma environment where there is a transfer of energy from one particle to another. This results in a change in the velocity or direction of the particles involved.

How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision in plasma?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the particles is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the transfer of energy between particles. Inelastic collisions also result in a change in the internal energy of the particles involved, while elastic collisions do not.

What factors influence the outcome of an inelastic collision in plasma?

The outcome of an inelastic collision in plasma is influenced by factors such as the mass and velocity of the particles involved, the temperature and density of the plasma, and the strength of the electric and magnetic fields present. The type of particles involved, such as electrons, ions, or neutral particles, also plays a role in the outcome of the collision.

What are some real-world applications of inelastic collisions in plasma?

Inelastic collisions in plasma are important in various fields, including astrophysics, fusion energy research, and materials science. In astrophysics, inelastic collisions play a role in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. In fusion energy research, inelastic collisions are essential for heating and confining the plasma in fusion reactors. In materials science, inelastic collisions can be used to modify and control the properties of materials at the nanoscale.

How do scientists study inelastic collisions in plasma?

Scientists study inelastic collisions in plasma using a variety of experimental and theoretical techniques. These include particle-in-cell simulations, laser and plasma diagnostics, and laboratory experiments using plasma devices. The data obtained from these studies can be used to validate and improve theoretical models, and to gain a better understanding of the complex physics involved in inelastic collisions in plasma.