Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inelastic particle colliding

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    with this technique that has been used to detect quarks, are the results reproducable every time? or are there different results which indicate the hadron has quarks that move inside?
    with rutherfords scattering, generally every 8000 alpha particles deflect in random directions. these results can be predicted + reproduced. Is it the same with inelastic particle collision experiments? im thinking it has to be right?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

is this an accurate picture of the inside of the atom when the electron scattering results are taken into account?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Mar 30, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

In Fig. 1.3, QCD theory predicts the shape of each curve, but not the magnitude, which is fit to the experiments.

6. Apr 16, 2009 #5
    This URL refers to a "gluon" video.

The atomic youtube URL is the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bQQPK-QaHI&feature=channel

The answer to your question is NO, it is not the right picture of the inside of an atom.
    First of all, the negative charge cloud "fluctuates" instead of being a standing wave pulsation. Secondly, the incident electron does not sufficiently approach the positive charge cloud in this video, so such a scattering is probably the elastic Rutherford one, without exciting the atom by transferring a sufficiently large momentum to the nucleus.

You can find the positive charge atomic form-factors and curves in my popular article "Atom as a "Dressed" Nucleus", (http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.2635), I attach it to my letter. There you will find the right atomic form-factors as well as the deep inelastic atomic cross sections.

Bob.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Apr 16, 2009 #6
    The original experiments were done by Jerry Friedman (MIT), Henry Kendall (MIT), and Richard Taylor (SLAC) (And Marty Breidenbach, student) circa 1970 using inelastic scattering of electrons (I think 40 GeV) on a liquid hydrogen target with a big spectrometer to measure both the scattering angle and the energy loss.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook