Maximizing Product Inequalities with a Subset of Numbers

• Thread starter symplectic_manifold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem states that you have 100 positive real numbers and the product of each 11 of them is greater than 1. The hint given is to set the largest number aside, since it must be greater than 1, and then use the remaining 99 numbers to show that their product is also greater than 1. This is done by dividing the 99 numbers into 9 sets of 11, all with products greater than 1, and then multiplying in the set aside number. This means that there are at least 10 numbers greater than 1, not 9 as the friend argues. Mathematically, it can be shown that you cannot have more than 10 numbers less than or equal to
symplectic_manifold
Hi, I've just picked up the following problem and got stuck...although seems easy.

You have 100 positive real numbers. The product of each 11 of them (11 different) is greater than 1. Show that the product of all hundred numbers is greater than 1.

Please, give me a hint first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the largest number aside (it must be greater than 1, since otherwise any product of 11 will be <1). You have now 9 distinct sets of 11, all products >1, therefore product of 99 >1, multiply in the set aside number and you're done.

OK, great thanks! It's clear now! :smile:

So in particular it means that we have at least 10, and not 9, numbers greater than 1, doesn't it?
I'm arguing with my friend about that......because he insists on 9!

How can we show mathematically, I mean more formally, that 10 is right...that the largest number is greater than 1? :smile:

Far more than 10 of them are greater than 1. Any set of 11 will have a number greater than 1, no matter how you choose this subset. If you had 90 numbers less than 1, you'd have plenty of ways to pick a subset of 11 whose product is less than 1.

Try to answer from this direction: what's the most that you can have less than (or equal to) 1?

Far more than 10 of them are greater than 1. Any set of 11 will have a number greater than 1, no matter how you choose this subset. If you had 90 numbers less than 1, you'd have plenty of ways to pick a subset of 11 whose product is less than 1.

Try to answer from this direction: what's the most that you can have less than (or equal to) 1?

Is it right if I say 50/50?...I mean if 51 numbers are <1 than the whole product will be <1?

Related to Maximizing Product Inequalities with a Subset of Numbers

1. What is the definition of "inequality problem trouble"?

The term "inequality problem trouble" refers to the issue of economic and social inequality, where certain individuals or groups have significantly less access to resources, opportunities, and rights compared to others. This can lead to various problems such as poverty, discrimination, and social unrest.

2. What are some factors that contribute to the inequality problem trouble?

There are multiple factors that contribute to the inequality problem trouble, including systemic barriers and discrimination based on race, gender, socioeconomic status, and other characteristics. Economic policies, education systems, and social structures can also play a role in perpetuating inequality.

3. How does the inequality problem trouble impact society?

The inequality problem trouble has a significant impact on society, as it can lead to a wide range of negative consequences such as increased poverty rates, decreased social mobility, and higher levels of crime and violence. It can also create divisions and tensions between different social groups and hinder overall economic growth and development.

4. What are some potential solutions to address the inequality problem trouble?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to address the inequality problem trouble, as it requires a multifaceted approach. Some potential solutions include implementing fairer economic policies, providing equal access to education and job opportunities, promoting diversity and inclusion, and addressing systemic discrimination and biases.

5. What role can scientists play in addressing the inequality problem trouble?

Scientists can play a crucial role in addressing the inequality problem trouble by conducting research to better understand the root causes and impacts of inequality, and by developing evidence-based solutions. They can also use their expertise to inform and influence policymakers and advocate for more equitable policies and practices.