Inequality proof - for determining convex set

In summary: Excellent! :)In summary, the problem is to prove that any weighted mean of two points above the parabola $x^2-6$ is also above that parabola. This can be simplified to proving that $(\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 - (\theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2) \leq 6$ using the properties of convex sets. This inequality can be further simplified to $(\theta x_1^2 + (1-\theta)y_1^2) - (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 \geq 0$, which is true for all values of $\theta \in [0
numbersense
I am stuck at the inequality proof of this convext set problem.

$\Omega = \{ \textbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^2 | x_1^2 - x_2 \leq 6 \}$

The set should be a convex set, meaning for $\textbf{x}, \textbf{y} \in \mathbb{R}^2$ and $\theta \in [0,1]$, $\theta \textbf{x} + (1-\theta)\textbf{y}$ also belong to $\Omega$.

How can I show that $(\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 - (\theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2) \leq 6$?

I am stuck after expanding the LHS.
\begin{align*}
& (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 - (\theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2) \\
=& \theta^2 x_1^2 + 2\theta(1 - \theta)x_1 y_1 + (1 - \theta)^2 y_1^2 - \theta x_2 - (1 - \theta) y_2
\end{align*}

Any hints or pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
numbersense said:
I am stuck at the inequality proof of this convext set problem.

$\Omega = \{ \textbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^2 | x_1^2 - x_2 \leq 6 \}$

The set should be a convex set, meaning for $\textbf{x}, \textbf{y} \in \mathbb{R}^2$ and $\theta \in [0,1]$, $\theta \textbf{x} + (1-\theta)\textbf{y}$ also belong to $\Omega$.

How can I show that $(\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 - (\theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2) \leq 6$?

I am stuck after expanding the LHS.
\begin{align*}
=& \theta^2 x_1^2 + 2\theta(1 - \theta)x_1 y_1 + (1 - \theta)^2 y_1^2 - \theta x_2 - (1 - \theta) y_2
\end{align*}

Any hints or pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to MHB, numbersense! :)

Graphically, your problem is that any weighted mean of 2 points above the parabola $x^2-6$ is also above that parabola.
Something like this:

View attachment 721

Summarized, your problem is that:
$$\text{Given} \\
\qquad x_2 \ge x_1^2 - 6 \qquad (1) \\
\qquad y_2 \ge y_1^2 - 6 \qquad (2) \\
\text{Proof that: } \theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2 \ge (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 - 6 \qquad (3)$$

Starting with the LHS of (3), we get with (1) and (2) that:
$$\theta x_2 + (1-\theta)y_2 \ge \theta (x_1^2 - 6) + (1-\theta)(y_1^2 - 6) = \theta x_1^2 + (1-\theta)y_1^2 - 6 \qquad (4)$$

So we're left to proof that:
$$(\theta x_1^2 + (1-\theta)y_1^2) - (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta)y_1)^2 \overset{?}{\ge} 0 \qquad (5)$$

Can you simplify that?

Attachments

• problem-parabola.png
    problem-parabola.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 36
Thank you I like Serena! I think I managed to simplify that.

\begin{align*}
& \theta x_1^2 + (1 - \theta) y_1^2 - (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta) y_1)^2 \\
=& \theta x_1^2 + (1-\theta)y_1^2 - ( \theta^2 x_1^2 + 2 (\theta - \theta^2) x_1 y_1 + (1-2\theta + \theta^2) y_1^2)\\
=& (\theta - \theta^2) x_1^2 - 2(\theta - \theta^2)x_1 y_1 + (\theta - \theta^2) y_1^2\\
=& \left((\theta - \theta^2)^\frac{1}{2} x_1 - (\theta - \theta^2)^\frac{1}{2} y_1\right)^2\\
\geq & 0
\end{align*}

$\theta - \theta^2 \geq 0$ as $\theta \in [0,1]$.

numbersense said:
Thank you I like Serena! I think I managed to simplify that.

\begin{align*}
& \theta x_1^2 + (1 - \theta) y_1^2 - (\theta x_1 + (1-\theta) y_1)^2 \\
=& \theta x_1^2 + (1-\theta)y_1^2 - ( \theta^2 x_1^2 + 2 (\theta - \theta^2) x_1 y_1 + (1-2\theta + \theta^2) y_1^2)\\
=& (\theta - \theta^2) x_1^2 - 2(\theta - \theta^2)x_1 y_1 + (\theta - \theta^2) y_1^2\\
=& \left((\theta - \theta^2)^\frac{1}{2} x_1 - (\theta - \theta^2)^\frac{1}{2} y_1\right)^2\\
\geq & 0
\end{align*}

$\theta - \theta^2 \geq 0$ as $\theta \in [0,1]$.

Yep! ;)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about the inequality proof for determining a convex set. I can understand your frustration with getting stuck on this problem. Let me offer some guidance to help you make progress.

First, let's start by looking at the definition of a convex set. A set is convex if for any two points in the set, all points on the line segment connecting them are also in the set. In other words, for any $\textbf{x}, \textbf{y} \in \Omega$, we want to show that $\theta \textbf{x} + (1-\theta)\textbf{y} \in \Omega$ for all values of $\theta \in [0,1]$.

Now, let's consider the specific set in question, $\Omega = \{ \textbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^2 | x_1^2 - x_2 \leq 6 \}$. This set is defined by an inequality, so let's use that to our advantage. We know that $\theta \in [0,1]$, meaning that $\theta^2 \leq 1$ and $(1 - \theta)^2 \leq 1$. This allows us to rewrite the expression as follows:

\begin{align*}
=& \theta^2 x_1^2 + 2\theta(1 - \theta)x_1 y_1 + (1 - \theta)^2 y_1^2 - \theta x_2 - (1 - \theta) y_2 \\
\leq& x_1^2 + 2x_1 y_1 + y_1^2 - x_2 - y_2 \\
=& (x_1 + y_1)^2 - (x_2 + y_2) \\
\leq& x_1^2 + y_1^2 - x_2 - y_2 \\
\leq& 6
\end{align*}

In the first step, we used the fact that $\theta^2 \leq 1$ and $(1-\theta)^2 \leq 1$ to rewrite the expression. In the second step, we used

Related to Inequality proof - for determining convex set

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set of points where for any two points in the set, the line segment connecting them lies entirely within the set. In simpler terms, it is a set where all the points lie on the same side when connected with a line.

2. Why is it important to prove convexity in inequality?

Proving convexity in inequality is important because it helps determine whether a set is convex or not. Convexity is an essential property in many areas of mathematics and science, and it allows us to make assumptions and draw conclusions about the set's behavior.

3. How do you prove convexity in inequality?

To prove convexity in inequality, you need to show that the inequality holds for all points in the set. This can be done by using mathematical methods such as induction or by providing counterexamples.

4. What are some applications of convexity in inequality?

Convexity in inequality has various applications in fields such as optimization, economics, and physics. It is used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions in optimization problems, to analyze market equilibrium in economics, and to understand the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can a set be both convex and non-convex at the same time?

No, a set cannot be both convex and non-convex at the same time. A set is either convex or non-convex based on the properties of its points. If a set satisfies the properties of convexity, it is considered convex, and if it does not, it is considered non-convex.