Inertia, Gravitational Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation is discussing a scenario involving a meter stick with a mass of .160kg that is pivoted at one end and released to rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The goal is to calculate the change in gravitational potential energy, the angular speed of the stick, the linear speed of the end opposite the axis, and to compare the latter to the speed of a particle that has fallen 1m. The solution involves treating the meter stick as a point particle and visualizing it as rotating about one end.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A meter stick with a mass of .160kg is pivoted about one end so it can rotate without friction about a horizontal axis. The meter stick is held in a horizontal position and released. As it swings through the vertical, calculate (a) the change in gravitational potential energy that has occured; (b) the angular speed of the stick; (c) the linear speed of the end of the stick opposite the axis. (d) Compare the answer in part (c) to the speed of a particle that has fallen 1.m, starting from rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea, i can't even get the first part. i believe it is supposed to be something kind of like this sitting on a table:
445.jpg

and then they drop it while it is spinning?
idk i could use some help

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: To calculate the the change in G.P.E you can treat the meter stick as a point particle of mass 0.16kg located at the centre of mass of the meter stick.

What I'm reading is if you held a meter stick in your hand parallel to the ground and then let it rotate down from the end you're holding so the opposite end falls while you still hold the end that was in your hand. That's rotating about one end of the meter stick.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

@ above:
100 percent perfect interpretation.

@jaredmt:
The rod is in perfect rotation.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This is essentially describing the principle of inertia.

3. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the potential energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that an object possesses because of its height above the ground or its distance from a large mass, such as the Earth.

4. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated as the product of an object's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and its height above the ground. The formula is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

5. How does gravitational potential energy affect an object's motion?

Gravitational potential energy is a form of potential energy, meaning it can be converted into kinetic energy, the energy of motion. As an object falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is why objects accelerate as they fall towards the Earth.